"Secure Connection Failed" and "Service Unavailable" messages

mlco...@gmail.com

May 12, 2022, 5:53:47 PM5/12/22
to astrometry

For the last few days I have been unable to upload any image to nova.astrometry.net

Using Firefox on Linux, I get the message "Secure Connection Failed" even though I can access other https pages on astrometry.net. Using Chrome on Chrome OS I get the message "Service Unavailable".

I sign in with my Google account, and I have not attempted to use the on-line service since last November.

Did do something wrong? Did something change?

Thanks.

Dustin Lang

May 17, 2022, 8:51:51 AM5/17/22
to mlco...@gmail.com, astrometry
Hi,

I don't see anything wrong with the site.  The SSL certificate is good until July 25.  It works for me on Firefox or Chrome or Safari on Mac.  The SSL labs report is good (https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=nova.astrometry.net)

I'm not sure what to suggest, other than maybe clearing browser caches, etc, and making sure that your OS's security certificates package is up to date (eg, ca-certificates package on Ubuntu).

cheers,
dustin

Mark Copper

May 17, 2022, 8:52:03 AM5/17/22
to astrometry
Thanks for responding.

It wouldn't seem to be my computers: besides the Linux and Chrome failures, the upload request also fails on our Apple Macbook, both with Safari and Firefox browsers with the same messages.

I wonder if my very slow internet connection is the problem or something else with my ISP here on the edge of the grid.

Perhaps the API is the way to go from this location.

Dustin Lang

May 17, 2022, 8:56:38 AM5/17/22
to astrometry
Strange.

Are you able to load pages like
and it is only when you try to upload an image that it fails?

I can't think of why that page would be different, except maybe that it is a POST, while the rest would be GET requests.  Maybe there is a misconfigured cache or proxy between you and the internet?  But then I wouldn't expect https to work at all...?

Is there any way you can post your image someplace accessible on the web, and then submit a URL to nova.astrometry.net, rather than trying to upload the whole file?

How big are your images?

Sorry for the trouble... I'm not sure what to suggest, because the nova.astrometry.net site really isn't doing anything fancy or unusual!

cheers,
dustin

Mark Copper

May 17, 2022, 4:16:24 PM5/17/22
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Yes, very strange. I ended up suspecting my ISP. And returning to my
MO home, the image uploaded and solved very quickly: Job 6479434. I'll
be back out to NM in a couple weeks and will try to get to the bottom
of it.

Thanks very much for thinking about it.

Mark