New Member - Solver Best Practice

Jon B

Apr 23, 2022, 6:43:55 PM4/23/22
to astrometry
Hi all,

I'm new to the Astrometry.net web service...
Wondering about best practice for increasing my solve odds...

I've tried to filter an image so that the stars stand out, etc...
Also tried a variety of advanced settings, etc...
Attached is the photo I'm trying to solve, both original and filtered...

Hoping one of the "stars" in this Group, such as Dustin Lang, have some pointers :)
Thanks!
star_test04.jpg
star_test01.jpg

Dustin Lang

Apr 25, 2022, 11:12:40 AM4/25/22
to Jon B, astrometry
Hi,

My usual advice for very wide-field images like this is to crop down to a central part of the image.  The solver has trouble with very wide-field images (it assumes a pinhole camera, which is strongly violated by images like this with large distortion.)  I tried that for your image and had no luck

It's embarrassing, but sometimes we just fail on what should be (intuitively) the easiest images.  Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

--dstn