solve again an image already solved

tano...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2024, 4:30:46 AMSep 27
to astrometry
Hi Dustin, Hi everybody

I would like to solve an image that astrometry (local version) already solved but with another star catalog.
For example suppose I'd like to solve an image with 5200 index, and this image is already solved with 4100 index.

From the first solving procedure, astrometry returns these files: .axy, .corr, .out, .rdls, .solved, .wcs, .xyls

Can I use one of these files to solve again the image?

What I know is that the .xyls file returns the x y coordinates of the stars present in the field of view (is it right?), and that I can use this information to solve an image.

If I can use one of the files mentioned above file, what should be the solve-field line command format?

Thanks for the help.
GZ

Dustin Lang

Sep 27, 2024, 2:06:07 PMSep 27
to tano...@gmail.com, astrometry
Hi,

You can do
solve-field --verify X.wcs  [ + your usual arguments ]

which will check the original solve results against the new star catalog.

You can either pass in the original image file again, and it will re-detect stars.  Or you can pass the X.xyls file as the input (rather than X.fits or X.jpg)

cheers,
dustin

Gaetano Zarcone

Sep 27, 2024, 2:11:37 PMSep 27
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Thanks Dustin,

I have another question
If I use the xyls file as input, does astrometry solve image faster than if I use the original file?

Cheers
Gaetano

Dustin Lang

Sep 27, 2024, 2:13:43 PMSep 27
to Gaetano Zarcone, astrometry
Well, it doesn't have to re-detect stars in the image, so that part will be faster

Gaetano Zarcone

Sep 27, 2024, 3:01:02 PMSep 27
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Ok