Solve images

Gaetano Zarcone

Jan 16, 2023, 6:40:57 AM1/16/23
to astrometry
Hi,
I have a question: does astrometry.net and the local version solve only physical images?
I will try to explain the problem better. As mentioned in a previous discussion (https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/astrometry/CAGm%2BbRWCb9VGp8t%3DKC%3DTYqev%3DVRjntj9_%3DCw5p0fBPGAAcC1ug%40mail.gmail.com.) I'm working on raw images (.cr2 file) and to solve them I have to convert in a supported file format (e.g. png). This is ok, but it requires a lot of time (hours for hundreds images). My question is: if I get out the x,y coordinates of the stars directly from the raw images, and then I write them in a txt file, can I give this txt file to astrometry in order to solve the images?

Cheers
GZ

Dustin Lang

Jan 16, 2023, 7:59:21 AM1/16/23
to Gaetano Zarcone, astrometry
Hi,

Yes, you can submit lists of X,Y coordinates of stars.  Sort them by brightness (brightest first).  The easiest format will probably be text -- x,y coordinates, one per line, separated with either a space or comma.

cheers,
dustin

Gaetano Zarcone

Jan 18, 2023, 6:26:27 AM1/18/23
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Ok
If I understood correctly the txt file should be something like this:

x1,y1
x2,y2
x3,y3
xn,yn

Now there is only one problem: how can I give  this txt file to the local version of astrometry?😅

Cheers
Gaetano

Dustin Lang

Jan 18, 2023, 11:51:20 AM1/18/23
to Gaetano Zarcone, astrometry
Hi,

There's a "text2fits" program you can use to generate "xylist" inputs for solve-field, eg, with a file like you describe, you could go

text2fits -f ff -s, -H "x,y" input.txt input.xy

and then run solve-field on your input.xy file.

cheers,
dustin

Gaetano Zarcone

Jan 19, 2023, 3:58:01 AM1/19/23