Astrometry on macos

Martin Sadler

Jul 21, 2022, 8:39:07 PM7/21/22
to astrometry
I've installed the pre-built macOS version of Astrometry which I downloaded from MacUpdate on my MacBook Pro and successfully used it solve one of my images. I see a <base>-wcs.fits output file but what I'd really like is the <base>-ncg.png file. How do I go about it?

As an aside, I find the bright green sections of the output very difficult to read (I'm in my 70s!). Where is the file that contains all this output (some sort of log file, I imagine) stored so I can load it into an editor to read it? I tried copying the text from the Solver window but that doesn't work. Alternatively, is there some way of changing the colour of this text? Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 01.35.01.png

Interestingly, when I upload the same image to astronomy.net it fails after with cpu limit exceeded if I don't use the Advanced settings option.. Using the local version, I get a solution in approx. 33 secs elapsed..

Using the approx. RA/Dec given by the local version in the "Advanced settings" section of the Upload page it fails after approx 499s. Here's a screenshot of the online output:
Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 01.17.31.png
The local version found a solution using index-4118.fits and gave field centre RA/Dec as 347.079,63.949

I'd be grateful for any help/advice.

Martin

Dustin Lang

Jul 22, 2022, 10:32:57 AM7/22/22
to Martin Sadler, astrometry
Hi Martin,

For the web version -- under Advanced Settings, in the Scale section, can you try setting it to "very wide field"?

As for the window and log file and stuff -- I am not familiar with this GUI.  The Astrometry.net team has not written a GUI interface to the solver -- we just have the command-line solve-field program.  So you would have to find out who wrote the program you're using and get in touch with them.

cheers,
dustin