Re: [Astrometry] off line astrometry.net for navigation?

Eric SIBERT

Oct 7, 2018, 4:24:26 AM10/7/18
to astro...@googlegroups.com
Le 06/10/2018 à 06:10, John Scherer a écrit :
> This question isn't really astronomy related but I've been thinking
> about if for a while.  Do you think it would be posable to use off-line
> astrometry.net for navigation purposes, say in a drone?

For satellite:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/astrometry/mBLF3JlQr7w/IEbt73_EBAAJ;context-place=forum/astrometry

Eric

Dustin Lang

Oct 8, 2018, 1:29:18 PM10/8/18
to astrometry
Depends, do you mean navigation on Earth, or pointing in space?

For Earth, you need to know the zenith distance and azimuth of the camera, and the time, to translate RA,Dec into Lat,Long.

For pointing in space, the Astrometry.net code is being used in a number of scientific instruments to do this, including SOFIA and several balloon-borne experiments.

cheers,
--dustin