Report of successful project

Astro Keith

Oct 18, 2022, 4:00:31 AM10/18/22
to astrometry
I thought I'd share where my 'eFinder' project has got. It's a small camera and lens fitted to any visual Dobsonian telescope. A Python script on a local Raspberry Pi looks after the camera, does solves, calculates Scope AltAz, and manages a tethered handpad and an optional remote full GUI on a tablet or PC.
The code feature a semi-automatic calibration feature to align the camera to the main scope. (based on wcs-xy2rd). The Pi talks to the telescope drive (if fitted) and provides alignment data and can even finish a normal 'GoTo' by nudging the scope on to the intended true sky RA & Dec.
The capture and solve takes about 2.5 seconds, and I haven't had a solve fail for months. The main scope gets pointed to within an arc minute, which for a lightweight portable Dobsonian (18") is groundbreaking. The corrected scope position is relayed back to a connected SkySafari planetarium App.
A few photos below, and a link to more info..https://astrokeith.com/equipment/efinder/
Many thanks to all who have produced and supported astrometry.net, plus those who have helped along the way with coding and testing.
Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 08.58.04.png

Astro Keith

Oct 18, 2022, 4:03:29 AM10/18/22
to astrometry
A better shot of the GUI. It shows eyepiece field of view and orientation. with optional overlays
Picture 1.png

Dustin Lang

Oct 18, 2022, 10:06:40 AM10/18/22
to Astro Keith, astrometry
This is awesome -- thanks for the report!
cheers,
dustin