Making cropped (and aligned) WWT or Google sky image, like other SDSS / GALEX / unWISE outputs

Changho Jo

Apr 16, 2023, 4:18:35 AM4/16/23
to astrometry
Hello dustin,

I'm tyring to crop (and align) WWT or Google sky image, so that it matches to the image region of my query image on Astrometry.

I found that there are options like SDSS / GALEX / unWISE (my query - galex), ... and so on. So I feel like there's got to be a way to do this.

I tried
1. WWT web - I succeeded to open WWT (web) with my query image (below 1.png) by using "view in WorldWideTelescope". But If I use this,
  1. even at full zoom, I couldn't cover the whole part of image
  2. even if it covers whole part of image, I don't know how to rotate and properly screenshot using API (even there's no screenshot button that hides the upper most menubar)
2. WWT windows version
  1. couldn't cover the whole part of image (same as above)
  2. Is there a way to open WWT windows app with aligning my query image (like web client)?
3. Google Sky
  1. When I clicked "image.kmz", I could download a file but I don't know how to open it from google sky.. Could you let me know please?
I'm sorry that I don't know a lot of things yet, and I'd really appreciate it if you let me know how could I make it.

Thanks for reading,

Changho Jo
1.PNG

Dustin Lang

Apr 17, 2023, 9:33:35 AM4/17/23
to Changho Jo, astrometry
Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know enough about WWT to offer any advice.  For Google Earth/Sky, on Mac when I download the image.kmz it just opens automatically, OR I can start Google Earth and then File->Open the image.kmz file as usual.

cheers,
dustin

Changho Jo

Apr 17, 2023, 11:08:47 AM4/17/23
to astrometry
Thanks for the reply.

I feel sad that I can't open file on Google sky windows. And I also found that currently there is no function to make cropped image from WWT.
But now I'm wondering how did you make SDSS / GALEX / unWISE outputs. Could you please explain more about this (or is there any codes or scripts)?

2023년 4월 17일 월요일 오후 10시 33분 35초 UTC+9에 dstn...@gmail.com님이 작성:

Dustin Lang

Apr 18, 2023, 1:51:07 PM4/18/23
to Changho Jo, astrometry
The SDSS / unWISE / GALEX images are created by the www.legacysurvey.org/viewer web site, where we have all the images, and can project them to match your image based on the WCS header.

cheers,
dustin

Changho Jo

Apr 19, 2023, 8:19:16 AM4/19/23
to astrometry
Thanks for the reply.
I'm sorry that I'm still not sure about a good way to get cropped and aligned image. I could check aligned image by clicking Legacy Surveys sky browser: browse the sky, and maybe I could use the image by writing some shell script that does  (screenshot + image processing). However, this method seems to be a not good pipeline. To get cropped and aligned image, did you used (some legacysurver API), or (some codes in Astrometry github), or (screenshot + image processing)?

Thanks for reading,
Changho Jo
2023년 4월 19일 수요일 오전 2시 51분 7초 UTC+9에 dstn...@gmail.com님이 작성:

Dustin Lang

Apr 19, 2023, 1:25:02 PM4/19/23
to Changho Jo, astrometry
Hi,

Those images are created with an API from the Legacy Surveys sky viewer.  That ends up using code like this to resample from one image with a WCS header to a different image with a WCS header,

cheers,
dustin

Changho Jo

May 8, 2023, 9:33:23 AM5/8/23
to astrometry
I checked the resample_with_wcs code and I got it.
thanks so much!

Regards,
Changho Jo
2023년 4월 20일 목요일 오전 2시 25분 2초 UTC+9에 dstn...@gmail.com님이 작성: