Re: [Astrometry] Digest for astrometry@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

CaptAndy Sir

Jun 17, 2022, 7:23:18 AM6/17/22
to astro...@googlegroups.com
Known issue. Try a search.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 6:34 AM <astro...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Spencer Wingfield <spenc...@gmail.com>: Jun 15 12:52PM -0700

Hello, I had some questions about Astrometry (specifically the web version)
determines the orientation of the frame it solves. I am working on a code
to display a star field based on the user input of a DCM to reach the
desired point in the sky. The result of the code is being ran through
Astrometry along with a real photo and while both agree on the center of
the image, the orientation of one is flipped across the East-West axis with
respect to the other. Namely, the real image shows an orientation of 160° E
of N while the result of the code is shown to be at 20° E of N. What makes
this more puzzling is that upon visual inspection, the reference centroids
of the stars seem to line up in both images.

I have attached both results here for further comparison and analysis and
appreciate any insights anyone has into this issue.

Real Image:

https://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/5986707#redgreen

Code Ouptut:

https://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/5999274#redgreen