cmake installation failure on MAC

p_charalabo

Jan 17, 2023, 11:35:13 AM1/17/23
to astrometry
Hello,

I am trying to install astrometry.net in my macOS Mojave 10.14.16 but there's a problem which I cannot fix no matter what I tried. I would deeply appreciate your help if possible. Here are the issues:

I am trying to install the software by running:
" brew install astrometry-net "

The problem comes when it tries to install cmake. I get the same error messages when I try to install cmake with homebrew. I tried to solve the  without success I paste the lines of interest from the error message below. Let me know if you need any other information from my part!

Many many thanks in advance,
Panos

"""

==> ./bootstrap --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.25.1 --no-system-libs --parallel=16 --datadir=/sh

Last 15 lines from /Users/pngchr/Library/Logs/Homebrew/cmake/01.bootstrap:

-DCMake_BUILD_LTO=ON

CMake 3.25.1, Copyright 2000-2022 Kitware, Inc. and Contributors

C compiler on this system is: clang

Error when bootstrapping CMake:

Cannot find a C++ compiler that supports both C++11 and the specified C++ flags.

Please specify one using environment variable CXX.

The C++ flags are "".

They can be changed using the environment variable CXXFLAGS.

See cmake_bootstrap.log for compilers attempted.

Log of errors: /private/tmp/cmake-20230117-66018-tnf1mi/cmake-3.25.1/Bootstrap.cmk/cmake_bootstrap.log

"""

Dustin Lang

Jan 17, 2023, 12:15:34 PM1/17/23
to p_charalabo, astrometry
Hi,

As far as I can tell, this issue has nothing to do with astrometry.net, so you may have better luck getting help for it on a Homebrew forum.  Astrometry.net doesn't even use cmake for its build system, so this must be coming from some tree of dependencies.

I would suggest checking whether your XCode installation is up to date.  That's all I can think of, because the error message is saying that it can't find a good C++ compiler, and that comes from XCode.

cheers,
dustin