Any one using Raspberry Pi5 and/or Bookworm OS?

Astro Keith

Nov 1, 2023, 6:05:08 AM11/1/23
to astrometry
I've had a few attempts at installing on a Bookworm build. Along with camera drivers and Skyfield, I'm getting a lot of issues.

Anyone succeeded or trying?

Keith

Andreas Hornig

Nov 1, 2023, 2:31:48 PM11/1/23
to astrometry
Hey Keith,

does it need to be a Raspberry Pi5?

For the NASA SpaceApps Challenge 2023 project OpenNightSky[0], I set Astrometry.net up on a Pi4 (8gb, and I did before on the 4gb).. Both had the current Raspbian as OS.
Worked pretty well (with one numpy quirk that was fixable).

Feel free to tell me if that's also okay and what you would like to know further.

Best regards,

Andreas

Astro Keith

Nov 2, 2023, 3:55:49 AM11/2/23
to astrometry
Thanks Andreas
I am indeed using a Pi4 very successfully at the moment (Bullseye, astrometry 0.90, numpy 1.22.5).
I dont know how long they will continue to make the Pi4, but anyway it seemed a good idea to move with the latest hardware and OS. I havent previously used virtual environments (didnt need to!) but that is clearly changing with Bookworm and is a better discipline too. I currently have two problems - Skyfield not being found, and the ASI camera SDK now being out of date.