index files for Gaia 5200 series - LITE?

Cliff Kotnik

Jul 27, 2021, 10:53:43 AM7/27/21
to astrometry

I am running the astrometry.net code locally on my ubuntu server.  I want to try using Gaia for the index files.  My understanding from looking at other posts on this group is that a combination of Gaia and Tycho would be the way to do this.  Looking at the index files at https://portal.nersc.gov/project/cosmo/temp/dstn/index-5200/ I note the subdirectory "LITE".  What are the implications of using the somewhat smaller files in this subdirectory?

thanks,
Cliff

Dustin Lang

Jul 27, 2021, 11:06:37 AM7/27/21
to Cliff Kotnik, astrometry
Hi,
The "LITE" ones will be equally good for astrometric solving.  The "heavy" ones carry some extra Gaia catalog data, which I think get carried into the "rdls" or "corr" files.
And IIRC, the 5200 series do merge Tycho-2 and Gaia-DR2 stars.
cheers,
--dustin