Newbie astrophotography question

Brewster Brownville

Aug 1, 2022, 12:02:51 PM8/1/22
to astrometry
I'm relatively new to astrophotography and completely new to this Astrometry tool. I have uploaded a few images that have failed and am not sure why? Any input would be really appreciated. I've included a link below to one of the images.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good board for discussing DSO astrophotography? I have been doing it on my own for a couple years, and have to chat with about it. Thanks!

Dustin Lang

Aug 2, 2022, 8:02:12 AM8/2/22
to Brewster Brownville, astrometry
Hi,
Two things (okay three):
- in general, Astrometry.net does poorly on really wide-field images because the distortions are usually much more than what it was built to handle
- for super wide-field images, look under the "Advanced settings" area, in the "Scale" area, click the "very wide field" option.
- blank regions in your image will throw it off (we expect to find stars there and then are surprised not to find any there).
I tried cropping your image and setting the large scale, and got this solution:

That still took a while.  I also tried cropping to a more square image,
and got a quicker solution.

We have a to-do feature to tell it to only search for a sub-region in the image.

cheers,
dustin

paul.l...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2022, 12:13:58 PM8/4/22