Download lots of Images

Carl Van Bogaert

Jul 27, 2021, 10:13:08 AM7/27/21
to astrometry
Hi Folks,

I'd like to download the largest archive of sky images that I can possibly find.

The plan is to train an artificial neural network to solve the field using the solved images as examples.

I don't much care if they're already solved or not - I can run the solver locally if needed.  I just require A LOT of potentially solvable images.

Is there a way I can pull down nova.astrometry.net's archive of images without some silly web scraping?  Anyone know of a larger publicly available archive?

Thanks,

Carl

Dustin Lang

Jul 27, 2021, 11:04:20 AM7/27/21
to Carl Van Bogaert, astrometry
You should be asking about the licensing terms.

Dustin Lang

Jul 27, 2021, 11:14:06 AM7/27/21
to Carl Van Bogaert, astrometry
Again, being careful with licensing, you could check out astrobin.com (which also uses astrometry.net to tag astrometry).
cheers,
--dustin

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 10:13 AM Carl Van Bogaert <cvanb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dustin Lang

Jul 27, 2021, 11:15:21 AM7/27/21
to Carl Van Bogaert, astrometry
And of course there are professional sky surveys with excellent astrometry, including sdss.org and legacysurvey.org

John Murrell

Jul 30, 2021, 4:31:36 AM7/30/21
to Dustin Lang, Carl Van Bogaert, astrometry
The problem with the using the sky surveys are that each telescope only has one fixed image scale so you may well end up with a Neural Network that will only solve images of that particular scale.

If the intent is to solve random images you need a training set with a random scale and also all the problems with images that Astrometry.net has to cope with such as distortion, orientation, local lights etc.

John MUrrell

Wayne Green

Jul 30, 2021, 3:50:42 PM7/30/21
to John Murrell, Dustin Lang, Carl Van Bogaert, astrometry
IPAC and LCO have public repositories of images from lots of places. The LCO
scopes, while the 'same' specs are slightly different OTAs with varying PSFs
depending on site and engineering cycles.
--W

-- Wayne