wcs residuals

Jerry Zhang

Apr 4, 2023, 5:16:54 AM4/4/23
to astrometry
Hi Dustin and all,

Do you know that does astrometry.net have residual or uncertainty information when solving the wcs? I mean the X,Y rms coming from the distortion or whatever.

Best,
Jerry

Dustin Lang

Apr 4, 2023, 7:55:08 AM4/4/23
to Jerry Zhang, astrometry
Hi,
I don't think we report that directly.  You can look in the "corr" file for the field and index x,y coordinates.
cheers,
dusitn

Jerry Zhang

Apr 18, 2023, 9:08:03 PM4/18/23
to astrometry
Hi Dustin,

Thank you very much. I calculated average x error and average y error and added them together like this: rms = sqrt(mean(|index_x-field_x|)^2+mean(|index_x-field_x|)^2).

I think the method I found here is not correct, cuz their step of taking mean and square are reversed...: https://web.njit.edu/~gary/322/assets/Astrometry.net_uncertainties.pdf

I have two questions,
  1. what are the rows of the corr.fits file ? all the referenced sources in the index in the field of view?
  2. I have a quite large rms for one of my image, and I indeed found a row with |index-field| 10 times larger than the other. Does that mean a mismatching of that star? So should I discard this star when calculating the rms since it is not the 'astrometry uncertainty'?

Best,
Jerry

Dustin Lang

Apr 18, 2023, 9:10:54 PM4/18/23
to Jerry Zhang, astrometry
Hi,
The corr file lists stars that we think match.  There is a "match_weight" column that says how likely we think each match is.  Hopefully that one row you found with a much larger value has a small match_weight!
cheers,
dustin

Jerry Zhang

Apr 18, 2023, 9:20:26 PM4/18/23
to astrometry
Thanks Dustin, I will restrict the matched sample to match_weight > 0.99 to do the calculation!

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry Zhang

Apr 18, 2023, 10:12:01 PM4/18/23
to astrometry
Hi Dustin,

Now I think what I get is not what I want... the rms calculated is the 'rms of difference between index and the real detection', which includes the uncertainty coming from the source position measurement (centroiding) and motion of the star between the index and the observation ...

I just want a rms about the fit of the coordinate transform, just like IRAF task GEOMAP does. Does astrometry.net provides any info about it?

Thank you again!

Jerry

在2023年4月19日星期三 UTC+1 02:10:54<dstn...@gmail.com> 写道:

Jerry Zhang

Apr 19, 2023, 6:16:27 AM4/19/23
to astrometry
Well, now I figured out that https://web.njit.edu/~gary/322/assets/Astrometry.net_uncertainties.pdf is somehow correct, but just missing to divided by the square root of N (number of rows), to get the variation of the mean of the pixel error at sub-pixel level. I guess it is what I want, the rms of the fit of the coordinate transformation  (The mean should around 0 and more reference stars the uncertainty gets lower).  While what I have in the above reply is the the expect pixel error of single detections, which involves error of star extraction, and star motion, which is at several pixel level.

I hope I explained clearly and please correct me if I am wrong.

best,
Jerry