tweakorder limit for astrometry.net API?

Astro Roe

Aug 19, 2024, 12:59:33 PMAug 19
to astrometry
Hello,

I'm trying to create a wcs_header with the following python command using astrometry.net API:
wcs_header = ast.solve_from_source_list(sources_df['x_APT'], sources_df['y_APT'], width, height, solve_timeout=360, scale_units='degwidth', scale_type='ul', scale_lower=2, scale_upper=10, downsample_factor=4, tweak_order=4)

randomly I noticed that in the wcs_header provided for tweakorders above 3 all AP_x_y and BP_x_y coefficients are zero which would mean there is no SIP correction present in the calculated wcs.

Tweakorders 2 and 3 work and give non zero coefficients.

is there a limit for maximum tweakorder when using the API?

Thanks for clearification in advance,

Mario Ennes

Dustin Lang

Aug 19, 2024, 1:15:39 PMAug 19
to Astro Roe, astrometry
Hi,

There is no tweakorder limit in the API (technically I guess 9 is the limit!).  But your image might not have enough stars to support 4th order.  Or the fitting might have failed to find a good 4th-order solution.

cheers,
dustin