Planner Finish Sprint Feature via API

Nicolas Peric

Feb 7, 2021, 8:53:20 AM2/7/21
to Assembla API Development
Hello everyone!

I'm working on an integration with the Assembla API to automate the sprint iteration on our projects
Basically what I'm aiming to do is copy the exact behavior the Planner has when closing a sprint and creating a new one with the "Carry Over" tickets (any open tickets).

The steps I have in mind are quite simple:
1. Create new current milestone
2. Update open tickets on previous current milestone and move them to new Current milestone
3. Close previous current milestone by marking it as complete

So where's the issue?
- The planner does things that I'm not really sure if it's possible to do with the API. Closed subtasks shouldn't be moved to the new milestone and here's where's the issue is.

If I update the milestone on a User Story that's currently on an open state but with closed subtasks, all subtasks are also updated. I don't want that, closed subtasks shouldn't be moved to the new milestone. There's some custom logic in Assembla I would love to understand : p

If I try to move a closed subtask to the closed milestone I get the following error from the API:
{"errors":{"subtask_milestone":["milestone cannot be different from Story milestone"]}}
But if I use the Planner I can have subtasks milestones different from Story milestone, so above rule seems to affect the API only and not the Planner (?? not sure).

Probably only Assembla Team members will be able to help here.

The planner has many bugs, it's been broken for months now and we use the close feature to easily create a new milestone with the carry over. Moving User Stories from the UI is not optimal and some weird behavior like moving closed subtasks may occur : (

So how I can move a user story to a milestone without changing the closed subtasks? Couldn't find any difference on the closed subtasks the Planner didn't move (like a specific flag for the subtask to stay on the closed milestone).
Should I close the milestone first and then move the user stories to a new milestone?

Would really appreciate any insight on how to emulate the Planner closing feature.

Thank you very much for your time!

Best regards,

Nico

Nicolas Peric

Feb 7, 2021, 9:16:44 AM2/7/21
to Assembla API Development
I've just realized that the Planner is only broken with the "New Side Navigation", it can be toggled. Anyway I've seen the Planner broken a few times even before the new side nav was released : p

Would love to be able to automate sprint iterations with the API! Just tested with the UI and the same things happen, moving a US moves closed subtasks and you're not able to change the subtask milestone (got the same error in the UI). We can't start new milestones with closed tickets already, this messes our metrics.

Regards!

Nico