Auxiliary Batteries

Adrian Francisco Duran Ornelas

Nov 7, 2022, 5:56:32 PM11/7/22
to ASME Human Powered Vehicle Challenge
Hi,

During the October 27 ASME eHPVC information webinar, we briefly touched on allowing auxiliary low voltage batteries and that they are allowed.

My team wants to implement a low voltage circuit that can independently power on and control the high voltage components such as the drive train. However, in contradiction with the webinar, the current rules are strict about the one battery limitation: "Each vehicle is limited to one battery", with no exceptions for auxiliary batteries not connected to the drive train.

The low voltage system we are designing currently consists of a microcontroller and LCD display and will be expanded with more sensors. Are we able to put these components on a separate low voltage battery which does not interface with the drive train? By extension if allowed, could the 2023 eHPVC rules be revised to reflect this to remove any doubts going forward?

Thank you,
Adrian

ASME Human Powered Vehicle Challenge

Nov 14, 2022, 8:39:38 AM11/14/22
to ASME Human Powered Vehicle Challenge
Hi Adrian

I already check with the committee and we allow to use a circuit independently for your low voltage components. Anything else, don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day