How can I migrate my site from Stack Exchange to Askbot?

Randell

Apr 14, 2010, 10:29:03 AM4/14/10
to askbot
I'm currently evaluating SE clones so we can migrate our SE site,
NullPointer.ph to it.

Evgeny Fadeev

Apr 14, 2010, 11:48:37 AM4/14/10
to ask...@googlegroups.com
Hey Randell,

Could you do me a fave - repost your question on http://askbot.org/meta?

I've decided to discontinue the newsgroup or at least stop using it for a while.

My real answer is below, but I want to post the answer on the meta site.

Your nullpointer.ph looks very nice and you
seem to have a good community based on the number of upvotes on the questions.

Cheers!

Evgeny.

Hey Randell,

nullpointer looks awesome! you also have a nice community
judging by the number of upvotes on the questions.

At the moment the steps are the following:

install askbot. instructions are within file INSTALL
make sure that "stackexchange" app is in the list of INSTALLED_APPS in settings.py

unzip you SE dump in some directory say ./dump

type

python manage.py load_stackexchange

The process may take some time - because the way import works is
by playing the user activity into the database. But the good part is that
in the end you get imported everything - all revisions, votes, etc.

The caveat is that for the testing I had only one dump to work with.
So there may be bugs - if you run into anything - please let me know and I'll fix it pronto.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Randell <josephrande...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm currently evaluating SE clones so we can migrate our SE site,
NullPointer.ph to it.

Evgeny Fadeev, Ph.D.
Director, BioMolecular Spectroscopy Facility
1212 Natural Sciences 1
University of California Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697
telephone: 949-824-5842
http://www.physics.uci.edu/~biomolenmr
http://nmrwiki.org - Share your magnetic science!

Evgeny

Apr 14, 2010, 11:49:50 AM4/14/10
to askbot
Heya, please post your questions on the http://askbot.org/meta

sorry I should remove link to this newsgroup - decided to focus on
using the meta site - even for discussions.

Cheerios!!!

Evgeny.

Randell

Apr 16, 2010, 9:37:20 AM4/16/10
to ask...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evgeny,

Thanks for the response. We're currently evaluating the SX clones. Our team decided to start with OSQA. I'll let you know if we're moving on to test askbot.

Cheers,
--
Randell

Evgeny Fadeev