admin interface

Evgeny

Apr 4, 2010, 3:35:06 PM4/4/10
to askbot
Hey Adolfo,

Do you want to take on this, if you have time and energy?

The admin interface to edit the forum settings.

Evgeny.

Adolfo Fitoria

Apr 4, 2010, 7:07:32 PM4/4/10
to ask...@googlegroups.com
2010/4/4 Evgeny <evgeny...@gmail.com>:
> --

Ok. I know how to build custom admin views. I'll move the /admin stuff
to the django admin interface.

--
Adolfo Fitoria
http://fitoria.net

Evgeny

Apr 4, 2010, 10:32:27 PM4/4/10
to askbot
ok, let's do that - great. I''ve just discovered the admin
interface :), before I was typing into the database by hand!

can admin views take ajax calls? I've posted a question on the meta.

so first off - we have file forum/settings.py added by Hernani.
I thought that some sensible defaults could go there and we can have
values from the registry table override
those. it would be best if users did not have to do anything at all if
they are happy with the defaults.
and have to enter only the smallest number of settings in the files -
maybe even zero - eventually.

another way I guess is to load defaults into the database on syncdb
call or migration and then maybe add new ones
on upgrades (if upgrade brings a new setting) this way defaults would
also come from files, but editing them
will have no effect once the system is 'syndb'-ed.

either way would work. what do you think?

Evgeny.

On Apr 4, 4:07 pm, Adolfo Fitoria <adolfo.fito...@gmail.com> wrote:

Evgeny

Apr 5, 2010, 11:27:05 PM4/5/10
to askbot
Hey Adolfo,

Take a look at what this guy says
http://askbot.org/meta/question/14/one-step-migration-from-stackexchange-to-askbot-using-google-app-engine

makes sense, I think. people who might want to use our program will
like the admin interface
that is more normal than the django standard.

is it much easier to build custom admin interfaces than regular views?
if it is indeed - then yes why not put it up quickly, but maybe
eventually make a normal interface... no?

Thanks!
Evgeny.

Adolfo Fitoria

Apr 5, 2010, 11:54:15 PM4/5/10
to ask...@googlegroups.com
2010/4/5 Evgeny <evgeny...@gmail.com>:

> Hey Adolfo,
>
> Take a look at what this guy says
> http://askbot.org/meta/question/14/one-step-migration-from-stackexchange-to-askbot-using-google-app-engine
>
> makes sense, I think. people who might want to use our program will
> like the admin interface
> that is more normal than the django standard.
>
> is it much easier to build custom admin interfaces than regular views?
No, it's almost the same but sometimes it can be tricky to set up a
good admin interface, and yes django admin acepts AJAX for example
autocomplete stuff like in this files[1] but if we create our own
admin we'll need to create user admin too and IMO django admin does it
very well. To use django admin or not to use it, that's the question.

My vote is: use django admin.

[1]http://github.com/fitoria/django-simas/tree/master/simas/templates/admin/

Evgeny

Apr 6, 2010, 12:54:40 PM4/6/10
to askbot
okay let's use builtin django admin.
it seems to be powerful and Django project keeps improving it.

we'll probably have to tweak it later - for example - on deletion of a
use
we should have an option of whether delete all his posts as well or
not.
but we can leave this stuff for the later.

Thanks for bringing up this option.

Evgeny.