Re: opensourcethailand - Google Groups: Message Pending [{IP-brJHsqouqMyoCcWswAMrmzc9eHach0}]

1 view

Paola Di Maio

Mar 22, 2024, 6:10:50 AMMar 22
to Open Source Thailand, asia-c...@googlegroups.com
Ah, Frederik
Asia Commons, Open Source Thailand (70 members, everyone still alive?), so back from the dead!!!!!!! with memories of previous lives....

Thanks for posting

Would be good to hear what people have been up to in these years

After 5 years in Thailand, TWENTY YEARS AGO ALREADY  I went to UK and completed a PhD in 2012, then worked in India for one year at IIT Mandi, HP, then got lost in the Himalayas half of the time (the other half of the time I  continued to lead an apparent normal life). Have been teaching seminars and workshops when invited (I taught monks how to make herbal tinctures, and pharmacy students about regenerative medicine). After a few years on and off between UK and different countries in Asia, I have taken an interest in neuroscience and now producing open source protocols and wellness devices,
Please ping me anyone still around interested in collaborating on something
best wishes
PDM

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 5:29 PM Open Source Thailand <opensourcetha...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

A message has been sent to the opensourcethailand group and is awaiting approval. We've included this message for your review.

The message requires moderation because the user does not have permission to post.

You can approve or reject this message or you can approve this message by replying to this email.

Visit Google Groups

Start your own group, visit the help center, or report abuse.

Mar 22, 2024, 8:38:23 AMMar 22
to ASIA COMMONS
Really nice to be in touch, Paola! Alive (if not kicking!) here... but all in good spirits.
After 2007, I took a long detour to do some locally relevant work. It's so easy to feel that we are "only talking and doing nothing", so this was essential.Spent the last 17 years creating books, mostly non-fiction and in English, a few in other languages, in Goa on the west coast of India. We [http://goa1556.in], a small not-for-profit organisation, managed to create approx 170 titles.
Somewhere in between, I took a detour and did a PhD (English Department, Goa University) on publishing in 20th century Goa.
I am now back on writing on GNU/Linux and other things "free and open". Trying to pick up some threads where I last left them... and feeling like a Rip Van WInkle!
Your life and times do seem interesting. Didn't know you were in HP!
Best wishes, FN

Paola Di Maio

Mar 26, 2024, 9:44:59 AMMar 26
to asia-c...@googlegroups.com, Open Source Thailand
Fred and everone, in the spirit of reconnecting, lets make aspirations for Open Commons Asia as follows

1. That we can put together a map of spaces and people doing OS projects throughout Asia  and organize one or more unconferences so that we can stay in touch  and continue to support each other

2, Continue to explore ways of making a living while producing their open source stuff. For example, in releasing open source protocols and design patterns, I am just  motivated by sharing knowledge BUT as I look for funding', the funders want to see the business plan to get their return on investment and honestly, I have absolutely nothing to show
Can we do an unconference where people who are making a living AND doing open source technology one way or another (including manuals, guides on github etc) can teach everyone else how to stay economically viable?

3. Can we discuss in an open and civilized way the touchy topics like dark influence and manipulative narratives and mind control and economic power and social evolution etc-

There is so much to say about decentralization, truth, realization, open source, emancipation and mind control
There must be people throughout Asia will to connect, virtually, to continue important work or at a minimum to say hi

Some reading

Feedback
To understand the reason that building a profitable open source business is hard, you first have to understand what open source software is and ...
Aug 16, 2018No, corporations are abusing open source in two big classes of ways: 1) by not supporting the projects materially, whether by tithe or workhours ...
It sounds like the only rational act under capitalism is to not work on open source software, since the work is not compensated. Meaning that any solution we ...
Nov 14, 2023“Not all open source companies start with an open source project that is then monetized…often the founders start with an idea, and decide that ...