Martinsville, VA's angle on why google show go there...

Dreamspider

Mar 24, 2010, 4:40:57 PM3/24/10
to Asheville's Google fiber network initiative
Hi All,

Just came across this article about google and a pitch from
Martinsville VA. Found it interesting to read their angle...

http://martinsvillemedia.com/2010/03/11/martinsville-a-perfect-match-for-google/

Martinsville – a perfect match for Google

Open Letter to: Martinsville City Council and EDC

Subject: Google Gigabit Broadband for Communities

Here’s my thoughts on this program and why Martinsville should be
interested in it:

As I’m sure you are aware more than most people – Martinsville has
been economically punched in the gut repeatedly over the last 20 years
or so, starting with NAFTA killing off our textile industry…imported
furniture hurting our furniture industry (close to my heart as Sam
Hooker was my godfather)…..and now there’s more talk about losing
another cup race. Let’s not even talk about MZM and the circus at the
sheriff’s dept…….

Martinsville needs some good news.

This Google program is a result of Google not wanting to wait for the
FCC and the federal government to do something real to stimulate the
adoption of real next-generation Gigabit broadband service. It’s not
a question of if we will have Gigabit broadband to the home – it’s a
question of when – and which communities will get it first. Having a
next-generation network like this would make Martinsville extremely
attractive to high-tech and information economy companies – and would
be a critical component to drive Martinsville’s economy in a direction
other than down. I am also certain that we can’t afford to wait for
Comcast and Embarq – Martinsville would be last on their list to
upgrade.

I can’t stress how important reliable, fast and affordable internet
service is now. In my opinion – it’s as important a utility as
electricity, water, and sewers. The city of Wilson, NC did it.

Why not just let Comcast and Embarq continue to be the only options in
town? I can best explain it like this:

Embarq is the company with Gold Rush era technology. Let’s face it,
they’re still using telegraph wires. Yes, they’ve figured out how to
do voice calls and now data (DSL) over their telegraph wires – but
they’re still essentially unchanged from that 1850’s technology.
Their top broadband speeds are way slower than Comcast, and it’s
laughable to even compare any options they have to Fiber.

Comcast is the company with Disco era technology. They’re using
coaxial/TV cable. Better than Embarq’s telegraph wires – and they’ve
jucied it up by breaking their big Coaxial network into a bunch of
fiber-connected smaller networks – but this is still not nearly as
capable as the new kid on the block….

Google (and Verizion with their FiOS network, and municipalities like
Wilson, NC) are using Fiber to the Home (FTTH). We’ve gotten out of
the analog 1850’s and 1970’s and have entered the 21st Century. All
digital and capable of higher and higher capacities by changing the
equipment on the ends of the fiber – networks built with fiber optics
will last decades. The old and broken telegraph wire and tv cable
technologies will simply not be able to match the capabilities of
fiber – and in my opinion, are already at the end of their usable
life.

A FTTH network in Martinsville built in partnership with Google would
also get lots of press releases out into the world linking
Martinsville with Google. I’d rather see Google share a headline with
Martinsville rather than a call center or another shady federal
contractor. And I’d like to see Martinsville have an awesome fiber
network that will attract high-tech companies and jobs to the area.

Why does Martinsville have a leg up on other cities for being selected
by Google for this program? I can think of a reason or three –
first, we have our own electric uitilty so there aren’t any issues
with rights-of-way to get to every single structure in town. If
there’s no TV and phone service, embarq and comcast can’t complain
we’re enroaching on their territory. What’s left unsaid is that TV
and phone will run over the internet rather than the reverse. But
that’s okay, and we won’t miss comcast and Embarq. In addition to
that – there’s the political angle. Helping a town that is as bad off
as martinsville will make Google look good. And finally – I think the
size of the town is about right for this initial trial project that
Google is doing. That’s just my opinion, though.

I urge you to hurry and not sit on this. Google wants interested
cities to respond within the next couple of weeks.

Bob Hogg