RFID Lock

Steve Altemeier

May 23, 2016, 3:39:17 PM5/23/16
to Asheville Makers
I have no experience with rfid locks, but I **think** we already have rfid tags and a reader, as well as an RPi to control it.  In which case, I **think** all we need to set up an rfid lock on the makerspace door is an electric strike plate like this one.  It comes with a 30 day return policy and fails locked if power is lost (we would re-key the lock, but someone in the group and the building manager would still have key access in the event the lock fails - thought this might be better than having it fail open any time the power is out).  I can check to make sure we have permission to install something like this on the door.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Thanks,

Steve

Stephen Carter

May 23, 2016, 7:19:27 PM5/23/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
From what little I know, what you surmise is actually the case--I believe there may be some other considerations, but nothing that stops us from getting started with the setup, and taking care of other issues as, or just before, they occur.

Steve

Stephen N. Carter
Asheville, NC 28803

Stephen Carter

May 24, 2016, 12:15:26 PM5/24/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Just for us, I'm sure, Instructables is featuring a how-to for RFID locks:

Steve

Stephen N. Carter
Asheville, NC 28803