loud portable speaker needed for AVL Holiday Parade

Tom Heck

Nov 7, 2022, 8:19:08 PM11/7/22
to Asheville Makers
Does anyone have a loud bluetooth speaker I can borrow for the November 19 Asheville Holiday Parade?

Ian Baille (another Asheville Maker) and I have been asked to revive our 2021 Halloween costumes (Snoopy and the Red Baron) and appear in the parade. Video of our costumes:

My costume has sound effects that I run off a miniature board. Photo:

When I first used my Snoopy costume I ran my sound through a UE Boom speaker but it's not nearly loud enough (I used an audio jack line in from the board to the speaker).

If you have a really loud yet portable speaker I can borrow for this event I would be very grateful. The speaker needs to have an audio jack line in.

I promise to return your speaker in the same or better condition and if I don't I'll replace it with a new one.

With gratitude,

Tom Heck
Asheville, NC

Jay Hill

Nov 9, 2022, 10:29:00 AM11/9/22
to Asheville Makers
I have a little device into which you can plug a 1/8" audio cable and it transmits audio via Bluetooth, so that you could use a Bluetooth speaker.
I have a UE Megaboom speaker, which will be louder than your Boom, but maybe not loud enough.
One feature they have in the Boom app, "PartyUp," allows you to connect a bunch of UE boom line speakers and play in sync. I've never had more than one Boom device with which to try it, but if you want to borrow my BT transmitter and Megaboom speaker, you're welcome to them.

- Jay

rob deLoach

Nov 9, 2022, 2:56:09 PM11/9/22
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Tom,
I'm Rob. I have this JBL you can borrow.
I use it for small gatherings outdoors, and it is fairly loud. My neighbor may even have one available to pair it with and double down on the volume. I have only used it with bluetooth, but the specs suggest it takes a 3.5 mm audio input cable.
Love the costume!

Tom Heck

Nov 10, 2022, 10:49:39 PM11/10/22
to Asheville Makers
Hi Rob -- I'd like to borrow your JBL speaker. The link you provided shows brackets at the top of the unit that might allow me to attach it to my harness (my dog house hangs on my shoulders with a harness). Please contact me outside of this google group. My email: t...@tomheck.com

Jay - - thank you for your offer to borrow your UE Megaboom. I decided to go with Rob's JBL because of it's design (easier to hang from my harness). Thanks again.

Tom