Battery/soldering question

Debbie Johnson

Sep 1, 2022, 3:03:22 PM9/1/22
to Asheville Makers
Disclaimer:  this subject matter is entirely out of my wheelhouse and I got a C+ in physics. I can provide more details/background but here's the abridged version: I have recently come into possession of a homemade, e-assist hand cycle. The battery was dead so I bought the equivalent, non-refundable battery online (48V, 20 Ah). The plug on the hand cycle is an XT90 and the battery has a dean's connector. The wonderful guy at HobbyTown told me I could salvage my mistake by soldering an XT90 connector onto the new battery and suggested I might be able to get some guidance with that endeavor in this group.

Can you all recommend an individual (or a business) who could help me with this or steer me in the right direction? Would showing up at Tuesday's open house be the obvious first step? Also, if there's anyone in the group that has experience with modifying this hand cycle, that is set up for someone with paraplegia to a more quadriplegic-friendly set-up, I'd love to get your thoughts on that as well!

Thanks in advance!

Debbie

Zak Smolen

Sep 1, 2022, 3:34:51 PM9/1/22
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hi Debbie,

We have a few folks who have dealt with modded ebikes before, so hopefully we can get you going. If it's really as simple as replacing the connector I'd be happy to help you with it next Tuesday! Just come on by, there should be a sign on the front door with a number to text or you can go to the doorbell at the side door.

Do you have the replacement connector that you need or do you need help picking that out as well? If you have the connector then it should really take about 5 minutes to swap it.

A quick google for "xt90 to deans connector" also turned up some converter cables/dongles for a few bucks... but I wouldn't consider this for a permanent solution. With the types of currents you'll be pulling out of this battery, the last thing you want to do is introduce more resistance into the system, essentially adding failure points where wires or connectors might get fried.

Zak

Avi Silverman

Sep 1, 2022, 3:41:19 PM9/1/22
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hi Debbie,

I could help you with this (changing the connector on the battery). Do you have a XT90 connector already? If so, great! If not, we may have some at the space - I think that I've seen a few around in the past, but I'd have to look to be sure.

I don't have any experience with modifying a hand cycle (not even exactly sure what it looks like), but I'd be happy to look at it and discuss/give any thoughts.

Tuesday evening would be the easiest, as I was already planning on being there (I'm there most Tuesday evenings).

Avi

Debbie Johnson

Sep 1, 2022, 5:03:20 PM9/1/22
to Asheville Makers
Thank you both so much! I was steering away from the deans-to-XT90 connector because of the possibility that the resistance would melt the plug :( But yes, I do have the connector that HobbyTown told me I would need so I will plan to bring that and the battery on Tuesday. I might even lug the hand cycle over, though this thing is a beast! Thanks again and I look forward to brain storming about this project!