Creator Pro (ABS/left) oddity [and a build plate thought)

Houston Haynes

Aug 26, 2023, 1:06:02 PM8/26/23
to Asheville Makers
Hey folks - just a quick heads-up that the black 3D printer on the left (of the two on the bench in the corner) is acting strangely. I had a few hiccups with it - when starting new prints the noddle couldn't fully reset the forward left corner over the plate. I could nudge it a bit and it would continue to track to its starting position but I don't think that's a good plan for the long term.

It's not a dire issue but I thought it worth pointing out in case someone thinks they can just kick off a run and expect things to behave as normal.

[I moved my print to the PLA printer that's connected to the laptop. Once I got the plate temperature set properly - for me, 70 degrees - things went pretty well. It's not picture-perfect but it's good enough for a project box that'll be glued to the back of a solar panel]

On a related note about the Creator Pro - I'm not sure if the build plate temperature needs to be compensated because of the film that's on it. Not all materials are the same and that yellow film has a mylar-like quality to it. If that's true then the insulation quality of it might actually dampen the surface temperature of the build plate. If this is already known then chalk it up to a new person getting up to speed. But if there's some investigating to do there in order to make ABS prints go more smoothly, I'm up to help out.

Thanks,
Houston