Show and Tell Series: PC Ergonomics (10/4/22)

Avi Silverman

Sep 26, 2022, 5:00:04 PM9/26/22
to ashevillema...@googlegroups.com, ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I was recently thinking about how we used to regularly have show & tell time at our meetups, and for a while had monthly demos of topics that people were interested in teaching / time for people to show off some of their larger projects. I would like to bring some of that back, so I was thinking for our next open house meeting (next Tuesday, 10/4) about bringing in some of my ergonomic mice & keyboards (I have a lot of them), and doing a bit of show and tell. I might try and bring in some other types of ergo-gear as well.

I don't know if anyone else nerds out about ergonomics, or has physical issues/pain that cause them to need or be interested in finding more ergonomic solutions than the standard, but I thought it might be fun to let folk try stuff out (they're not things often carried at PC retail stores). And, if you have anything relevant equipment you are welcome to bring it too.

Lastly, if you have any interest in doing a show & tell for Nov or Dec, let me know! Since it was my idea, I figured I should take the ball on organizing. If no one else volunteers, I'll can come up with some other things, but it's more fun if we take turns!

Avi

Stephen Carter

Sep 26, 2022, 5:07:42 PM9/26/22
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com, ashevillema...@googlegroups.com
Good idea--and I really like seeing those custom keyboards you make, not to mention the mice.
Carter
Stephen N. Carter
Asheville, NC 28803
KJ6PZB

Jay Hill

Sep 27, 2022, 7:46:27 AM9/27/22
to Asheville Makers
I'm an organizer of the Asheville Coders League and we have had wild interest any time we have done a keyboard night.
Can I share this with that group?
If so, please clarify any parameters — like, is this focused on ergo rather than just bring-your-cool-mechanical-keyboards?

Thanks,
Jay

Avi Silverman

Sep 27, 2022, 8:45:15 AM9/27/22
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jay,

So, my gear is mostly all ergo-themed (I started having carpel tunnel type pain in my arms in my mid/late 20s, which I completely resolved after learning about & switching to ergonomic keyboards and mice), so that's what I was going to show off and talk about. That being said, if other folk want to show up and bring various mechanical keyboards (or mice, or various other interesting gear) though, I'm all about it! I personally would love to see some different cool keyboards irl, so feel free to pass the info along. If people are okay letting others try out their equipment, I was thinking about setting up a few laptops to let people have some hands-on experience (and if not that's okay too, just showing off is cool).

Avi