[Odd Obsession] SOME STATISTICS

ash966

Jun 1, 2015, 2:33:20 AM6/1/15
to ash966b...@googlegroups.com

Remotes:

1. Blu-ray
2. TV
3. Receiver
4. Apple TV
5. VCR
6. HDMI switcher
7. Audio switcher
8. Universal
9. iPod Touch (controls iTunes on computer via Remote app, can cast to Apple TV, Chromecast, Blu-ray)
10. iPad  (ditto)

Items that can connect to the Internet:

1. Desktop computer
2. iPad
3. iPod Touch
4. Nook
5. Cell phone
6. Blu-ray
7. Apple TV
8. Chromecast
9. Wireless printer
10. Mobile hotspot

Items that can take a picture:

1. Camera
2. Cell phone
3. iPod Touch
4. iPad
5. Web cam

Items that can play music:

1. Blu-ray
2. Record player
3. Tape player
4. Desktop computer
5. iPod Touch
6. iPad
7. Portable CD player

Items that can play video:

1. TV
2. Blu-Ray
3. VCR
4. Desktop computer
5. iPad
6. iPod Touch

Items that need to be charged:

1. iPad
2. iPod Touch
3. Cell Phone
4. Mobile hotspot
5. Backup battery
6. Nook
7. Camera
8. Cell Phone
9. Dustbuster

Items that can be used for a phone call:

1. Landline phone
2. Cellphone
3. iPod Touch
4. iPad
5. Desktop computer

--
Posted By ash966 to Odd Obsession at 6/01/2015 01:33:00 AM

CARY CRAWFORD

Jun 1, 2015, 9:48:40 AM6/1/15
to ash966b...@googlegroups.com
Andrea if I want to get a turntable do I need a receiver too, I have a mini stereo.

Sent from my iPad

ash966

Jun 1, 2015, 3:11:10 PM6/1/15
to ash966b...@googlegroups.com, cary crawford
and you wouldn't need a receiver. The sound may not be as good, but it's a lot easier to set up.

The author of this article says that with certain turntables and certain speakers, you can set up without a receiver even if the turntable is not listed as portable or USB. It sounds complicated, though:

http://www.vinylandcocktails.com/easiest-turntable-setup/

ASH

email: ash...@bitstream.net
web page: http://www.badassjfro.net/
"Oh don't the days seem lank and long
When all goes right and nothing goes wrong
And isn't your life extremely flat
When you've nothing whatever to grumble at?"

        --W.S. Gilbert

ash966

Jun 1, 2015, 8:02:53 PM6/1/15
to Kathy Riggs Williams, ash966b...@googlegroups.com
That is true. There are some people who would be happy with just a large smartphone or a netbook to do all this, but not me. I read too much on my iPad, but I can't read anything more than a short article without getting distracted. Also, I like to read at night but the glowing screen makes my brain wake up. You will have to pry my e-ink Nook out of my cold, dead hands until there is a way to make smartphones and tablets non-light-emitting.

Fortunately, my beloved Logitech universal remote does most of the media lifting for me, so the other remotes are very rarely used. For example, the Logitech can't save radio stations or delete apps on the Apple TV. I use my iPad when I want to search for something on YouTube, as searching on the Apple TV/Samsung Blu-ray is not great. It's usually by my side anyway.

The one thing I don't have is a cable box. I hear those are HUGE energy hogs since they are always online, so I probably still use less energy with my current set-up. Apple TVs use very little energy.

ASH

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Kathy Riggs Williams <kathy.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
How many of them can be replaced by your IPad or cell phone? For example, I have an app on my smart phone that can replicate everything my apple TV remote can do.
And I'm pretty sure I can read all my Nook books on my phone, if I downloaded an app for it, although I haven't and I don't want to.
-Kathy

CARY CRAWFORD

Jun 1, 2015, 10:22:29 PM6/1/15
to ash966b...@googlegroups.com
I'll never do cable again, evil capitalists, what a waste of money!

Sent from my iPad