Parser dialects and unifying code flavors

iva2k

Aug 31, 2011, 11:35:05 PM8/31/11
to ASCIIMath
From what I can gather, there are multiple branches of ASCIIMath. The
original ASCIIMath can parse a subset of LaTeX and David's version can
parse TeX, which are close but not identical. Each has a different set
of useful features besides the markup dialect. Looking at the
history, different versions keep diverging further away from one
another. Question 1 - is there a comparison table between branches &
versions?

Question 2 - I wonder if there was a discussion on various dialects
and potential of bringing them together? I vaguely remember some
discussions I saw some time ago but cannot find any pointers to any
conclusions.

If there's a way to combine everyone's efforts, there can be benefit
to all. For one, that will result in having a common code - browser
glue layer - maintained in one place (sourceforge?) so it can have the
best coverage of all clients (browser hooks, browser variants support,
image fallback). Different language dialects can be maintained as add-
ons that are independent of browser glue layer and potentially they
could be combined as needed depending on intended use.

For myself I highlight certain features that I would like to combine:
Core:
- widest browser support
- image fallback
- graphs created from ascii math
Language Add-ons:
- ASCII math
- LaTeX
- TeX

Am I dreaming?

Marc Grober

Sep 1, 2011, 11:38:32 AM9/1/11
to asci...@googlegroups.com

David Lippman

Sep 21, 2011, 7:00:46 PM9/21/11
to ASCIIMath
Q1: I know that many forks exist that I don't know about. Here's
what I do know.

The TinyMCE plugins and image-based fallback scripts I try to maintain
(and use in the TinyMCE plugins) are based on AsciiMathML version
1.4.7, which could parse the AsciiMath language and supported a small
subset of TeX/LaTeX symbols.

At some point, Peter released AsciiMathML 2.0, which merged the
original AsciiMathML, the LatexMathML derivative work, and the
AsciiSVG graph drawing scripts. I personally had no interest in the
Latex part, and didn't see the value in merging AsciiMathML with
AsciiSVG, which is why I continue to use the original un-merged
scripts. It is worth noting that the AsciiMath language itself is
identical between both versions - the only difference is the
LatexMathML extensions and possibly the symbol set.

Q2: Like Marc mentioned, I think that MathJax is the correct venue
for an add-on oriented approach to math that supports different
dialects and different display modes. As he mentioned, I started
working on building an input jax for the AsciiMath language (which
already works, just isn't cleaned up yet). I doubt I will actually
use it much, though, since AsciiMathML continues to work fine for my
applications.

Personally, I am only interested in working on maintaining AsciiMathML
as a tool for displaying the AsciiMath language. I will also continue
to extend and maintain AsciiSVG for creating graphs, but for my
purposes, I still prefer to keep them separate, rather than trying to
merge them like Peter did.

-David