Using one docinfo file for many source files

Frank Blome

Sep 20, 2010, 8:12:18 AM9/20/10
to asciidoc
Hi guys,

I am new to asciidoc and this groups, so please excuse me if this was
discussed before, but I couldn't find any hint with searching.

I plan to write a help file for a Mac OS X application using asciidoc.
My first tests are good so far, but there is one think I can not
solve. In this help I will use many separate source files which will
be processed through a script. But I need a global docinfo file for
all text files which is 100% the same for all.

How can I define a global (or general) docinfo file?

Thanks,
Frank

Stuart Rackham

Sep 21, 2010, 12:30:21 AM9/21/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank

You could create symlinks, one per source file, to the shared file. The ability
to have a shared docinfo file is a good idea, I've committed a patch to allow
any combination of shared and document specific doninfo files to be include with
a couple of new attributes (docinfo1 and docinfo2):

http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=96648c5fc5f1c901e6c6d0f422af0adeaeff5754

Cheers, Stuart

> Thanks,
> Frank

Frank Blome

Sep 21, 2010, 2:55:37 AM9/21/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

On 21.09.2010, at 06:30, Stuart Rackham wrote:

>> How can I define a global (or general) docinfo file?
>
> You could create symlinks, one per source file, to the shared file.

Yes, this was what I learned yesterday, after another reading of the user guide. Thanks or pointing on this.

> The ability to have a shared docinfo file is a good idea, I've committed a patch to allow any combination of shared and document specific doninfo files to be include with a couple of new attributes (docinfo1 and docinfo2):
>
> http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=96648c5fc5f1c901e6c6d0f422af0adeaeff5754

Wow. I did not expect such a level of help. That's awesome! To understand the development process: Is this from now on an official part of asciidoc, or "just a little hack"?

Grateful,
Frank

Stuart Rackham

Sep 21, 2010, 3:15:48 AM9/21/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

Additions to the trunk go into into the next release unless the addition causes
regression problems or is deemed to be silly or frivolous or outside AsciiDoc's
remit. It's inclusion in the next release is not guaranteed till it appears in
the next release (recursive logic, doesn't make logical sense but I think it
makes common sense).

Cheers, Stuart