AsciiDoc 8.6.3 release redux

Stuart Rackham

Nov 10, 2010, 4:01:44 PM11/10/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
The planned 28-Oct release date has slipped by, in the mean time I think all
outstanding regression issues have now been resolved (sing out if they haven't).
I now plan to release on 14 November. Thanks for all the intervening bug reports
-- it's amazing what a pending release can do to focus minds.

If you do find another regression or bug please verify it against the trunk (see
http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/checkout) and include a minimal test
case that illustrates the problem.

Cheers, Stuart

Sebastian Pipping

Nov 10, 2010, 7:10:48 PM11/10/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
Stuart,

I have three questions/comments on the build systems. Maybe this is
something that you you still want in 8.6.3:

On "make install"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Without these previous calls (mentioned in INSTALL.txt) make install
fails:

# python a2x.py -f manpage doc/asciidoc.1.txt
# python a2x.py -f manpage doc/a2x.1.txt

What are the reasons to not integrate this into the Makefile so make
install actually depends on them so that they get executed?
Would you accept patches for this?

Generation of file BUGS
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The files four files README, BUGS, INSTALL, and CHANGELOG seem to be
shipped with tarballs only. I was not able to find out, how you
generate these files. What commands do you run? Could you add a make
target for it? It is of interested for building packages right from a
mercurial checkout.

Variable "manpdir" in Makefile.in
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Could it be that this line can be remove from Makefile.in?

manpdir = $(mandir)/man1

I dont see $(manpdir) used anywhere.

Best,

Sebastian

Stuart Rackham

Nov 11, 2010, 3:11:23 PM11/11/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

On 11/11/10 13:10, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Stuart,
>

> I have three questions/comments on the build systems. Maybe this is
> something that you you still want in 8.6.3:
>

> On "make install"
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Without these previous calls (mentioned in INSTALL.txt) make install
> fails:
>
> # python a2x.py -f manpage doc/asciidoc.1.txt
> # python a2x.py -f manpage doc/a2x.1.txt
>
> What are the reasons to not integrate this into the Makefile so make
> install actually depends on them so that they get executed?
> Would you accept patches for this?

I don't think there is a reason, please post a patch if you can come up with one.

> Generation of file BUGS
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The files four files README, BUGS, INSTALL, and CHANGELOG seem to be
> shipped with tarballs only. I was not able to find out, how you
> generate these files. What commands do you run? Could you add a make
> target for it? It is of interested for building packages right from a
> mercurial checkout.

These files are generated by the ./doc/main.aap build script
(http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/browse/doc/main.aap), they are
generated by the %.text rule (AsciiDoc source to HTML then converted to text
with lynx(1)).

I have thought about converting the AAP scripts to GNU Make so that all building
is handled by Make but it would be a big job with no functional payoff.

> Variable "manpdir" in Makefile.in
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Could it be that this line can be remove from Makefile.in?
>
> manpdir = $(mandir)/man1
>
> I dont see $(manpdir) used anywhere.

I think it's just cruft so I've taken it out.

Cheers, Stuart

> Best,
>

> Sebastian

Arnaud Quette

Nov 11, 2010, 4:45:42 PM11/11/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

2010/11/10 Stuart Rackham

The planned 28-Oct release date has slipped by, in the mean time I think all outstanding regression issues have now been resolved (sing out if they haven't). I now plan to release on 14 November. Thanks for all the intervening bug reports -- it's amazing what a pending release can do to focus minds.

indeed

If you do find another regression or bug please verify it against the trunk (see http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/checkout) and include a minimal test case that illustrates the problem.

just a question, because NUT' configure script is checking this:
a2x version is still 8.6.1 while asciidoc is already 8.6.3.
do you plan to also bump a2x version?

cheers,
Arno

Sebastian Pipping

Nov 11, 2010, 7:35:04 PM11/11/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
On 11/11/10 21:11, Stuart Rackham wrote:
>> On "make install"
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Without these previous calls (mentioned in INSTALL.txt) make install
>> fails:
>>
>> # python a2x.py -f manpage doc/asciidoc.1.txt
>> # python a2x.py -f manpage doc/a2x.1.txt
>>
>> What are the reasons to not integrate this into the Makefile so make
>> install actually depends on them so that they get executed?
>> Would you accept patches for this?
>
> I don't think there is a reason, please post a patch if you can come up
> with one.

First try on a patch is attached.

Best,

Sebastian

fix-make-install.patch

Sebastian Pipping

Nov 11, 2010, 8:00:12 PM11/11/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
On 11/11/10 21:11, Stuart Rackham wrote:
>> Generation of file BUGS
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> The files four files README, BUGS, INSTALL, and CHANGELOG seem to be
>> shipped with tarballs only. I was not able to find out, how you
>> generate these files. What commands do you run? Could you add a make
>> target for it? It is of interested for building packages right from a
>> mercurial checkout.
>
> These files are generated by the ./doc/main.aap build script
> (http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/browse/doc/main.aap), they are
> generated by the %.text rule (AsciiDoc source to HTML then converted to
> text with lynx(1)).
>
> I have thought about converting the AAP scripts to GNU Make so that all
> building is handled by Make but it would be a big job with no functional
> payoff.

I see. This command seems to do the job for me:

( cd doc && aap -f main.aap ../{CHANGELOG,README,BUGS,INSTALL} )

It adds aap, lynx and source-highlight to the build dependencies, in
case anyone else is re-using that command.

Best,

Sebastian

Stuart Rackham

Nov 12, 2010, 3:17:38 PM11/12/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

On 11/11/10 13:10, Sebastian Pipping wrote:

[...]

> Variable "manpdir" in Makefile.in
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Could it be that this line can be remove from Makefile.in?
>
> manpdir = $(mandir)/man1
>
> I dont see $(manpdir) used anywhere.

I should have thought about it a bit longer, manpdir is the man page install
directory generated by the $(INSTDIRS) target, without it the man pages are
installed in the root directory. I've reversed the change out of the trunk.

Cheers, Stuart

[...]

Stuart Rackham

Nov 12, 2010, 3:17:41 PM11/12/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the patch Sebastian, it works a treat. I've added it to the trunk:
http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=00fdce8fa79e1ba09383bb93ca892b1f0b74582d

Cheers, Stuart

> Best,
>

> Sebastian

Stuart Rackham

Nov 12, 2010, 3:26:11 PM11/12/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for spotting that Arnaud, I've updated it in the trunk.

Cheers, Stuart

> cheers,
> Arno

Arnaud Quette

Nov 12, 2010, 6:40:19 PM11/12/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

2010/11/12 Stuart Rackham wrote:

On 12/11/10 10:45, Arnaud Quette wrote:
(...)

just a question, because NUT' configure script is checking this:
a2x version is still 8.6.1 while asciidoc is already 8.6.3.
do you plan to also bump a2x version?
Thanks for spotting that Arnaud, I've updated it in the trunk.

welcome ;-)

you may want to automate this and manage it at a central location, to avoid missing it during release.
you already have it btw in your configure.ac (even more outdated), you just need to:
- create {asciidoc,a2x}.py.in
- reference these in configure.ac->AC_OUTPUT
- patch these file with
VERSION = @PACKAGE_VERSION@

I can provide a patch if needed.
cheers,
Arno

Stuart Rackham

Nov 12, 2010, 7:52:46 PM11/12/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

On 13/11/10 12:40, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2010/11/12 Stuart Rackham wrote:
>

> On 12/11/10 10:45, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
> (...)
> just a question, because NUT' configure script is checking this:
> a2x version is still 8.6.1 while asciidoc is already 8.6.3.
> do you plan to also bump a2x version?
>

> Thanks for spotting that Arnaud, I've updated it in the trunk.
>

> welcome ;-)
>
> you may want to automate this and manage it at a central location, to
> avoid missing it during release.

> you already have it btw in your configure.ac <http://configure.ac> (even

> more outdated), you just need to:

> - create {asciidoc,a2x}.py.in <http://py.in>

> - reference these in configure.ac->AC_OUTPUT
> - patch these file with
> VERSION = @PACKAGE_VERSION@

How are the .in templates created?

> I can provide a patch if needed.
> cheers,
> Arno

Sebastian Pipping

Nov 12, 2010, 8:20:32 PM11/12/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
On 11/13/10 00:40, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2010/11/12 Stuart Rackham wrote:
>

> On 12/11/10 10:45, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
> (...)
> just a question, because NUT' configure script is checking this:
> a2x version is still 8.6.1 while asciidoc is already 8.6.3.
> do you plan to also bump a2x version?
>

> Thanks for spotting that Arnaud, I've updated it in the trunk.
>

> welcome ;-)
>
> you may want to automate this and manage it at a central location, to
> avoid missing it during release.
> you already have it btw in your configure.ac <http://configure.ac> (even

> more outdated), you just need to:
> - create {asciidoc,a2x}.py.in <http://py.in>

> - reference these in configure.ac->AC_OUTPUT
> - patch these file with
> VERSION = @PACKAGE_VERSION@
>
> I can provide a patch if needed.

That would make develeopment of the Python code rather difficult.
An alternative could be creating a file "version.py" and import that
from the main code.

Best,

Sebastian

Arnaud Quette

Nov 13, 2010, 3:04:46 AM11/13/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

2010/11/13 Sebastian Pipping

On 11/13/10 00:40, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2010/11/12 Stuart Rackham wrote:
>

>     On 12/11/10 10:45, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>         (...)
>         just a question, because NUT' configure script is checking this:
>         a2x version is still 8.6.1 while asciidoc is already 8.6.3.
>         do you plan to also bump a2x version?
>

>     Thanks for spotting that Arnaud, I've updated it in the trunk.
>

> welcome ;-)
>
> you may want to automate this and manage it at a central location, to
> avoid missing it during release.
> you already have it btw in your configure.ac <http://configure.ac> (even
> more outdated), you just need to:
> - create {asciidoc,a2x}.py.in <http://py.in>
> - reference these in configure.ac->AC_OUTPUT
> - patch these file with
> VERSION = @PACKAGE_VERSION@
>
> I can provide a patch if needed.

That would make develeopment of the Python code rather difficult.

not sure what you mean here.
if you think about syntax highlighting, then most (if not all) modern editors handle this.

An alternative could be creating a file "version.py" and import that
from the main code.

well, it simplifies the code somehow, but not the distribution, since you have to ship, and be able to find your version.py

to answer to Stuart, the .in files are simply the .py counter part, renamed and replacing the version data.
ie, a2x.py.in is simply a copy of a2x.py with VERSION = @PACKAGE_VERSION@

that being said, creating an asciidoc-version.py, then distributed in the sysconfig directory might best apply here.
@Stuart: up to you...

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com

Stuart Rackham

Nov 13, 2010, 2:04:51 PM11/13/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

On 13/11/10 21:04, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2010/11/13 Sebastian Pipping
>
> On 11/13/10 00:40, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> >
> > 2010/11/12 Stuart Rackham wrote:
> >

> > On 12/11/10 10:45, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> >
> > (...)
> > just a question, because NUT' configure script is
> checking this:
> > a2x version is still 8.6.1 while asciidoc is already 8.6.3.
> > do you plan to also bump a2x version?
> >

> > Thanks for spotting that Arnaud, I've updated it in the trunk.
> >

> > welcome ;-)
> >
> > you may want to automate this and manage it at a central location, to
> > avoid missing it during release.
> > you already have it btw in your configure.ac

> <http://configure.ac> <http://configure.ac> (even

> > more outdated), you just need to:

> > - create {asciidoc,a2x}.py.in <http://py.in> <http://py.in>

> > - reference these in configure.ac->AC_OUTPUT
> > - patch these file with
> > VERSION = @PACKAGE_VERSION@
> >
> > I can provide a patch if needed.
>
> That would make develeopment of the Python code rather difficult.
>

> not sure what you mean here.
> if you think about syntax highlighting, then most (if not all) modern
> editors handle this.
>
> An alternative could be creating a file "version.py" and import that
> from the main code.
>

> well, it simplifies the code somehow, but not the distribution, since
> you have to ship, and be able to find your version.py
>
> to answer to Stuart, the .in files are simply the .py counter part,
> renamed and replacing the version data.

> ie, a2x.py.in <http://a2x.py.in> is simply a copy of a2x.py with VERSION

> = @PACKAGE_VERSION@
>
> that being said, creating an asciidoc-version.py, then distributed in
> the sysconfig directory might best apply here.
> @Stuart: up to you...

The current situation is not ideal, the version numbers are in 4 files:
asciidoc.py, a2x.py, common.aap and configure.ac.

There is a precedence of sorts in that the Makefile patches asciidoc.py and
a2x.py with the system CONF_DIR (see the fixconfpath target in Makefile.in), the
nice thing about this is that it doesn't involve extra files, but this is an
install-time function not a build-time function (which is why it's performed by
make and not by AAP).

The build gets done by AAP so my feeling is that AAP should patch the various
files from the master values in common.aap, there is already a vers target in
main.aap (currently all it does is print the version number and release date but
it could be made to do a version number update).

Cheers, Stuart

> cheers,
> Arnaud
> --
> Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com
> Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
> Debian Developer - http://www.debian.org
> Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/

Stuart Rackham

Nov 13, 2010, 7:54:38 PM11/13/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
I've committed a patch which ensures that the version number in common.aap is
propagated to other versioned files:
http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=63ed93a6dfa71a37f33a28ca172c502ce5525f0e

Cheers, Stuart

On 13/11/10 21:04, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2010/11/13 Sebastian Pipping
>
> On 11/13/10 00:40, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> >
> > 2010/11/12 Stuart Rackham wrote:
> >

> > On 12/11/10 10:45, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> >
> > (...)
> > just a question, because NUT' configure script is
> checking this:
> > a2x version is still 8.6.1 while asciidoc is already 8.6.3.
> > do you plan to also bump a2x version?
> >

> > Thanks for spotting that Arnaud, I've updated it in the trunk.
> >

> > welcome ;-)
> >
> > you may want to automate this and manage it at a central location, to
> > avoid missing it during release.
> > you already have it btw in your configure.ac

> <http://configure.ac> <http://configure.ac> (even

> > more outdated), you just need to:

> > - create {asciidoc,a2x}.py.in <http://py.in> <http://py.in>

> > - reference these in configure.ac->AC_OUTPUT
> > - patch these file with
> > VERSION = @PACKAGE_VERSION@
> >
> > I can provide a patch if needed.
>
> That would make develeopment of the Python code rather difficult.
>

> not sure what you mean here.
> if you think about syntax highlighting, then most (if not all) modern
> editors handle this.
>
> An alternative could be creating a file "version.py" and import that
> from the main code.
>

> well, it simplifies the code somehow, but not the distribution, since
> you have to ship, and be able to find your version.py
>
> to answer to Stuart, the .in files are simply the .py counter part,
> renamed and replacing the version data.

> ie, a2x.py.in <http://a2x.py.in> is simply a copy of a2x.py with VERSION

> = @PACKAGE_VERSION@
>
> that being said, creating an asciidoc-version.py, then distributed in
> the sysconfig directory might best apply here.
> @Stuart: up to you...
>
> cheers,
> Arnaud
> --
> Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com
> Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
> Debian Developer - http://www.debian.org
> Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/

Arnaud Quette

Nov 14, 2010, 7:26:36 AM11/14/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com

2010/11/14 Stuart Rackham

I've committed a patch which ensures that the version number in common.aap is propagated to other versioned files:
http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=63ed93a6dfa71a37f33a28ca172c502ce5525f0e

excellent.

cheers,
Arno