Next AsciiDoc release

Stuart Rackham

Oct 6, 2010, 6:41:47 PM10/6/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning the next (8.6.3) release in about a week, principally to fix this
regression in 8.6.2:

http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc/browse_thread/thread/54546032b4a9589e

I want 8.6.3 to be a stable and fairly long term release -- 8.6.2 and trunk
users in particular, could you please recompile your AsciiDoc documents and
report any regression issues, bugs and documentation errata.

Cheers, Stuart

Simon Ruderich

Oct 9, 2010, 4:58:02 PM10/9/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 11:41:47AM +1300, Stuart Rackham wrote:
> [snip]

> I want 8.6.3 to be a stable and fairly long term release -- 8.6.2 and trunk
> users in particular, could you please recompile your AsciiDoc documents and
> report any regression issues, bugs and documentation errata.

Current trunk works fine for me.

Regards,
Simon
--
+ privacy is necessary
+ using gnupg http://gnupg.org

Arnaud Quette

Oct 10, 2010, 8:10:38 AM10/10/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com, Charles Lepple
Hey Stuart and Asciidoc fans,
I'm in the final completion process of NUT docs, but got some issues with the chunked output and a2x: per chapter split behavior is not applied. Instead, I've the toc and all chapters but appendixes in one page, then each appendix in a separate page.

- 8.6.2 wasn't working at all ("FAILED: incomplete configuration files"...)
- 8.4.5 (iirc) was doing fine on chunked, but was producing a unicode error (iirc again)
- an example base document: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/nut/branches/AsciiDoc/docs/user-manual.txt

sorry for not being able to give much details, but I've tried so many combinations recently, while creating the final build rules, that I'm now a bit lost.

any help appreciated...
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops

Stuart Rackham

Oct 13, 2010, 12:53:04 AM10/13/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnaud

On 11/10/10 01:10, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hey Stuart and Asciidoc fans,
>
> 2010/10/7 Stuart Rackham wrote:
>
> I'm planning the next (8.6.3) release in about a week, principally
> to fix this regression in 8.6.2:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/asciidoc/browse_thread/thread/54546032b4a9589e
>
> I want 8.6.3 to be a stable and fairly long term release -- 8.6.2
> and trunk users in particular, could you please recompile your
> AsciiDoc documents and report any regression issues, bugs and
> documentation errata.
>

> I'm in the final completion process of NUT docs, but got some issues
> with the chunked output and a2x: per chapter split behavior is not
> applied. Instead, I've the toc and all chapters but appendixes in one
> page, then each appendix in a separate page.
>
> - 8.6.2 wasn't working at all ("FAILED: incomplete configuration files"...)
> - 8.4.5 (iirc) was doing fine on chunked, but was producing a unicode
> error (iirc again)
> - an example base document:
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/nut/branches/AsciiDoc/docs/user-manual.txt
>
> sorry for not being able to give much details, but I've tried so many
> combinations recently, while creating the final build rules, that I'm
> now a bit lost.

1. What is the a2x command you are using?

2. Can the repository containing the docs be checked out?

Cheers, Stuart

> any help appreciated...
> Arnaud
> --
> Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops
> Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
> Debian Developer - http://www.debian.org
> Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/

Arnaud Quette

Oct 13, 2010, 3:24:10 AM10/13/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com, Charles Lepple
Hi Stuart,

first, thanks for the followup.

2010/10/13 Stuart Rackham

[...]

this is integrated into Makefiles:

/path/to/asciidoc-trunk/a2x --attribute icons --attribute localdate=`TZ=UTC date +%Y-%m-%d` --attribute localtime=`TZ=UTC date +%H:%M:%S` --attribute iconsdir=./icons --attribute=badges --attribute=external_title -a toc -a numbered --destination-dir=. --format=chunked user-manual.txt

2. Can the repository containing the docs be checked out?

sure, NUT is still free software ;-)

svn co svn://svn.debian.org/nut/branches/AsciiDoc

then "autoreconf -i ; ./configure --with-doc=html-chunked ; cd docs ; make"

should limit to our issue scope.

I've not had news from my lieutenant (Charles, who owns the master buildbot that is publishing the new website / docs), to confirm or not that he's also facing the "chunked" issue.

thanks,

Arnaud Quette

Oct 13, 2010, 9:05:40 AM10/13/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com, Charles Lepple
Hey all,

just forwarding Charles' test results, as mentioned earlier today...
a detail I forgot in my previous is that the system used on my side is an ubuntu 10.04, so matching preriquisites mentioned in AsciiDoc README file...

2010/10/13 Charles Lepple
On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> I'm in the final completion process of NUT docs, but got some issues with
> the chunked output and a2x: per chapter split behavior is not applied.
> Instead, I've the toc and all chapters but appendixes in one page, then each
> appendix in a separate page.

OK, I finally got to test this with asciidoc 8.6.1, and I see the same
thing - one page per appendix, and the rest in index.html.

$ dblatex --version
dblatex version 0.2.12

using docbook-dtd-4.5.0

cheers,
Arnaud

david

Oct 14, 2010, 9:46:53 AM10/14/10
to asciidoc
Hello,

When I use monospace markup in the first section level, asciidoc
failed (last google code version, on windows XP):

------------- the file
= +foo+

blabla
------------- the file

The result:

> asciidoc.py foo.txt
asciidoc: FAILED: foo.txt: line 1: missing tag: monospaced

I'm pretty sure this was working a time ago.

Cheers,

david

Stuart Rackham

Oct 19, 2010, 1:57:25 AM10/19/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnaud

I successfully compiled all the docs in
svn://svn.debian.org/nut/branches/AsciiDoc using the current AsciiDoc trunk, and
yes, the chunked manual only has a single toc. But there was the added problem
of the article sections not being chunked by default, the chunk.section.depth
parameter was set to 0 by default (for chapter level chunking in books), this
has been fixed in the trunk:

http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=fe13fddfacafe60cc07674aff77a12850dfbde6b

The real problem is the inability to specify section level TOCS. Due to some
myopic thinking on my part, the TOC control is effectively hardwired in
./docbook-xsl/common.xsl. I've fixed this so that the TOCs can now be controlled
via the various DocBook XSL Stylesheets TOC parameters (see
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TOCcontrol.html) generate.section.toc.level,
toc.section.depth and toc.max.depth:

http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=a40a136d131225d042536c781082181f06024c33

I can now generate a TOC in each section of the user-manual by setting the
generate.section.toc.level to 1 e.g.

a2x -v --attribute icons --attribute localdate=`TZ=UTC date +%Y-%m-%d`

--attribute localtime=`TZ=UTC date +%H:%M:%S` --attribute iconsdir=./icons
--attribute=badges --attribute=external_title -a toc -a numbered

--destination-dir=. --format=chunked --xsltproc-opts "--stringparam
generate.section.toc.level 1" user-manual.txt

Use the toc.section.depth to increase the depth e.g.

a2x -v --attribute icons --attribute localdate=`TZ=UTC date +%Y-%m-%d`

--attribute localtime=`TZ=UTC date +%H:%M:%S` --attribute iconsdir=./icons
--attribute=badges --attribute=external_title -a toc -a numbered

--destination-dir=. --format=chunked --xsltproc-opts "--stringparam
generate.section.toc.level 1 --stringparam toc.section.depth 3" user-manual.txt

I also tried generating the user-manual using the 'book' doctype, this picked up
an (unrelated) problem -- I got the following error:

a2x: finding resources in:
/home/srackham/tmp/AsciiDoc/docs/user-manual.chunked/ch03.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/srackham/bin/a2x", line 814, in <module>
a2x.execute()
File "/home/srackham/bin/a2x", line 343, in execute
self.__getattribute__('to_'+self.format)()
File "/home/srackham/bin/a2x", line 625, in to_chunked
self.copy_resources(html_files, src_dir, dst_dir)
File "/home/srackham/bin/a2x", line 509, in copy_resources
lambda attrs: attrs.get('type') == 'text/css')
File "/home/srackham/bin/a2x", line 240, in find_resources
parser.feed(open(f).read())
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 108, in feed
self.goahead(0)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 148, in goahead
k = self.parse_starttag(i)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 249, in parse_starttag
attrvalue = self.unescape(attrvalue)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 387, in unescape
return re.sub(r"&(#?[xX]?(?:[0-9a-fA-F]+|\w{1,8}));", replaceEntities, s)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/re.py", line 151, in sub
return _compile(pattern, 0).sub(repl, string, count)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 6: ordinal
not in range(128)

This error is due to a limitation in the Python HTMLParser module, see:
http://bugs.python.org/issue3932

I resolved it by assuming UTF-8 input (this assumption is not always going be
correct but it will be correct more often that not doing anything and assuming
an ascii encoding:
http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=c9656a70e1303022b041646ef99bef205e6e7f9e

So, to to get section level TOCs you need to run from the trunk and pass TOC XSL
Stylesheets parameters to a2x using the --xsltproc-opts option.

Could you please test and report back.

Cheers, Stuart

Stuart Rackham

Oct 19, 2010, 5:48:56 PM10/19/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

Thanks for picking this regression up. I've committed a fix to the trunk:
http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=3ff0dba05784a1e1dde327fcb67726a3889d0952

Cheer, Stuart