double-quoted inside parentheses

mattn

May 2, 2010, 2:44:49 PM5/2/10
to asciidoc
Okay, I'm stumped. Why doesn't this work?

``Core Foundation'' (``CF'' for short)

Asciidoc doesn't allow both expressions to be double-quoted;
apparently it doesn't like the parentheses before the second set of
quote marks, with the odd result that it fails to render the first set
of quote marks as double-quotes.

I don't see what's wrong with what I'm writing and I don't understand
how I'm supposed to work around it. It seems like I need to put
something between the left parenthesis and the backtick that solves
the problem without generating any whitespace, and I don't know what
it is. I can get the result I'm after by surrounding the left paren
with double-dollar-signs, but then I also get a "nested inline
passthrough" warning.

What's the right way? It must be very simple, I'm just not seeing it.

Thx - m.

mattn

May 2, 2010, 3:38:32 PM5/2/10
to asciidoc
Even worse - the parenthesis prevents a preceding attribute from
resolving correctly. Try this:

:author: Matt

The ``author'' {author} (``M'' for short).

It comes out all wrong - the text {author} remains, literally, in the
result. Is it possible I've found an actual bug here? (Not bad for the
second day, if so...) m.

Stuart Rackham

May 9, 2010, 8:57:42 PM5/9/10
to asci...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt

Looks like a bug to me. It is happening because the start of the line is being
mistaken for an inline literal e.g.

``A'' (``B'' is seen as ` followed by inline literal literal `A'' (` followed by B''

I've fixed it in the trunk by disallowing a ` immediately after an inline literal:
http://code.google.com/p/asciidoc/source/detail?r=7dd228291e3b28640cef8fadf0e4c8139b856831

Let us know if it's fixed the problem.

Cheers, Stuart

mattn

May 10, 2010, 12:24:18 PM5/10/10
to asciidoc
It does seem to have fixed it! Many thanks for rolling in this change.
m.