Connection handling strategies

briandunnington

Mar 6, 2009, 7:48:19 PM3/6/09
to as3growl
in the Google Code wiki, you have a page dedicated to connection
handling strategies. one of the strategies listed is the 'new
connection for each notification' scenario. the flow goes something
like: connect, send notification, disconnect, repeat.

however, the 'connect' fires an inherent 'register' call as well. is
there a way to connect without re-registering every single time? i
would like to register once and then send notifications as needed, but
with a fresh connection each time. basically:

connect
register
disconnect

connect
send notification
disconnect

connect
send notification
disconnect
(repeat)

do you have any suggestions on how to achieve this or how to avoid re-
registering every single time i want to send a notification? maybe i
am just missing something. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

- brian

Mike Chambers

Mar 8, 2009, 3:11:58 PM3/8/09
to as3growl
Brian,

The reason that connect does a register call every time, is that there
is no way to check whether the notification / application has been
registered. i.e. the user could go into the growl settings and remove
the application / and or registration, and then the notification would
fail.

If I recall correctly (I havent looked at this in a while) there is no
way to check if an application or notification is already registered.

Anyways, that is why the behavior is currently like it is. I am open
to suggestions, but I was trying to keep the API simple for
developers.

mike chambers

mikech...@gmail.com