Event listenner vs Signal and the frame update

oohazard

Nov 30, 2010, 7:18:46 AM11/30/10
to as3-signals
Hi All,

First let me thank you for this wonderful framework that make the code
lot cleaner.
I have been starting to use it just recently and it works quite well.

Yesterday, I have been thinking of one main difference between the
framework and the native event listenner:
Event listener are called outside the frame_update performed by flash
player.
I would like to know what are the full consequence of this difference?

I have actually though of one. In some project I saw the use of event
listenner to actually create background processing. the event listener
will be called (though dispatch) reguralry and perform some
operation. Since this outside the frame update you can still continue
to use this frame update for usual operations.

You can still use this kind of background processing with the
frame_update itself (like it is done in greenthread
http://code.google.com/p/greenthreads/
But maybe the fact that they are performed outsid ethe frame update,
event listenner can provide better performance or at least not block
the main frame update?

In other word,
Is there any performance issue that coudl emerge for not using the
processign outside the frame_update ?

Thank you,

Oohazard