How to retrieve artwork id?

Ali Haider

May 6, 2020, 5:44:43 PM5/6/20
to Artsy API Developers
I want to retrieve data for an artwork using only the url. The API uses artwork id to retrieve that data. I can't figure out how to get the artwork id. If its not possible to retrieve it using just the url, what other options are there to retrieve it?

Daniel D.

May 6, 2020, 5:53:27 PM5/6/20
to Ali Haider, Artsy API Developers
The public URLs refer to the artwork's slugs, and /artworks/slug 301 redirects to artworks/id.

Note that both pages work, http://artsy.net/artwork/516dfb9ab31e2b2270000c45 and https://www.artsy.net/artwork/william-michael-harnett-the-old-violin. These used to be a redirect to in reverse, if someone at Artsy is reading, it's probably a bug in force. I opened https://github.com/artsy/force/issues/5519

--
Find all info about the Artsy.net API at https://developers.artsy.net.
---

Daniel D.

May 6, 2020, 6:18:32 PM5/6/20
to Ali Haider, Artsy API Developers
I believe that artwork is not publicly available via the API and hence the 404.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 6:17 PM Ali Haider <alihai...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Daniel. This did work for the url you mentioned, but it doesn't seem to work on all artworks, for example, check this link:

Daniel D.

May 6, 2020, 6:24:16 PM5/6/20
to Ali Haider, Artsy API Developers
Te-adding the list. Please contact Artsy.

These are only available to partners that list artworks on artsy via partner API,

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 6:20 PM Ali Haider <alihai...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any other way I could possibly get its data?