Published artworks API

Chloe

Oct 24, 2018, 12:51:10 PM10/24/18
to Artsy API Developers
Hello there,

I am building a deep learning image classifier for a research project (non-commercial, non-public, acceptable use under the t&c of the api, etc.), and I am interested in downloading images of artworks only by select artists for whom published_artworks=True in the Artsy API. However, when I try to send this API request to return published_artworks for, e.g., Robert Indiana, the response says access is forbidden.

/* Code */
```
response = requests.get(url, headers=headers)
```

/* Response */
{'type': 'other_error',
 'message': 'Forbidden',
 'text': 'A published artworks access is required.'}

Do I need special privileges to be able to download public domain images from the API in this way? My (perhaps erroneous!) understanding was that only a select number artwork images are available via the API, but that as long as these are the only ones we're trying to access, the API enables us to download these for educational and non-commercial purposes, etc.

Thanks so much for your help,
Chloe

Daniel Doubrovkine

Oct 24, 2018, 1:08:34 PM10/24/18
to ch...@objectobject.org, artsy-api-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for inquiring, Chloe. You do need a different level of permissions and we have granted this to various research projects in the past.

Let me dig up someone to reply to this thread, in the meantime could you please tell us more about the project? If you don't want to post it here please feel free to email me d...@artsy.net.

Thanks
dB.

[A.]    Daniel Doubrovkine (dB.)

         CTO @ Artsy

         d...@artsy.net

         @dblockdotorg

         code.dblock.org

PS: Please support my open-source work on Patreon.

--
Find all info about the Artsy.net API at https://developers.artsy.net.
---

Chloe Wayne Sultan

Oct 24, 2018, 1:23:25 PM10/24/18
to d...@artsymail.com, artsy-api-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for your swift reply. Rather than post details, I will send you a direct email today. Appreciate it!