View this page "Lighting and artwork"

sime...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2007, 2:05:34 PM2/16/07
to artsforenvironment
Hi All

Was thinking if the lighting should be white or yellow light. I think
white might be better but lets discuss.

Shahril

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/artsforenvironment/web/lighting-and-artwork
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

RickR

Feb 20, 2007, 6:16:27 PM2/20/07
to artsforenvironment
The quality of light and the other aspects of lighting are critical to
anything that is seen, Art or other. Vision is lighting!

As for color, you will first need a detailed definition of "white
light." As someone in the lighting business, I can tell you it's
simply not that simple.

Yes the light should be *perceived* as white, but that leaves a lot
unsaid. I once did a play in which I gradually changed the perception
of white, until the shocking ending when it returned to "normal."

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views

On Feb 16, 11:05 am, simed...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Was thinking if the lighting should be white or yellow light. I think
> white might be better but lets discuss.
>
> Shahril
>

> Click onhttp://groups.google.com/group/artsforenvironment/web/lighting-and-ar...

Shahril

Feb 20, 2007, 8:01:35 PM2/20/07
to artsforen...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard

Thanks for the email. Yes lighting and color are indeed complex issues.
Do you have any rules of thumb when doing lighting for an indoor photography
exhibit ?

Shahril

RickR

Feb 23, 2007, 3:30:33 PM2/23/07
to artsforenvironment
Yes, dozens...

1. Shield the bulbs so the glare doesn't blind people. It's amazing
how many visually sensitive places think nothing of track lights
pointed into your eyes. Ouch!

2. True accent lighting requires 10:1 brightness ratios, 100:1 for a
maximum impact.

3. Light flat art (photos, etc.) at 30 degrees from vertical, not 45.
That way the reflections from the glass don't shine in the eyes of
short people. It also avoids glare when you turn around. In fact
almost no light at all should be flatter than 45 degrees!

Hows that for a start.

RickR