Skimmer safari?

Noah Swartz

Aug 7, 2016, 9:29:12 AM8/7/16
to art...@googlegroups.com

Has anyone in NY gone hunting for credit card skimmers? I think specifically these deep insert simmers are popular and should be retrievable with a simple hook tool: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/05/crooks-go-deep-with-deep-insert-skimmers/
Anyone wanna go hunting?

adc

Aug 7, 2016, 10:08:08 AM8/7/16
to art...@googlegroups.com
NY Penn nj transit/ metro north machines may be worth checking tho there's just a lot of them. Recall reading about the ones in secaucus being skimmed

On Sunday, August 7, 2016, Noah Swartz <swar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone in NY gone hunting for credit card skimmers? I think specifically these deep insert simmers are popular and should be retrievable with a simple hook tool: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/05/crooks-go-deep-with-deep-insert-skimmers/
Anyone wanna go hunting?

Leon Eckert

Aug 11, 2016, 11:41:50 AM8/11/16
to artsec
a friend came across something in nyc (photos attached)
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Fletcher Bach

Aug 11, 2016, 11:50:58 AM8/11/16
to art...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

If anyone is going huntin' in NYC, would love to join.

- F

Fletcher Bach
Brooklyn, NY
fletcherbach.com

Jabba

Aug 14, 2016, 11:09:54 PM8/14/16
to art...@googlegroups.com
That looks just like the one my friend found also.

I love the lil Bebe spring to keep the card flush against the reader.

I love strolling through NYC yanking on ATMs praying that one will 'POP' off.
<unnamed-2.jpg>
<unnamed.jpg>

Jabba

Aug 14, 2016, 11:10:16 PM8/14/16
to art...@googlegroups.com
I'm down.  We should go on bike
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to artsec+un...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/artsec.

maddy

May 20, 2017, 5:59:28 PM5/20/17
to artsec
hi i am reviving this ancient thread bc surya + i are trying to hack the skimmer i found in nyc in may 2016!
im curious if anyone has found any more since people last commented, and have tried poking around to see how it works,
and if they remember the location they nabbed it in?

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 11:10:16 PM UTC-4, jabbathehuttwhat wrote:
I'm down.  We should go on bike

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 3:29:12 PM UTC+2, Noah Swartz wrote:

Has anyone in NY gone hunting for credit card skimmers? I think specifically these deep insert simmers are popular and should be retrievable with a simple hook tool: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/05/crooks-go-deep-with-deep-insert-skimmers/
Anyone wanna go hunting?

AKA

May 21, 2017, 10:13:00 AM5/21/17
to artsec
My local grocery store (Foodtown, Bedford and N 3rd) told me they just found 2 of their 5 check-out systems had skimmers...they only found out when the FBI came (?!) to remove them.

They didn't know too much about the form factor/specific type of skimmer, but it was surprising to me that they were installed at a location with regular/omnipresent staff and not a standalone location like an ATM...

KATSU KATSU

May 21, 2017, 1:20:53 PM5/21/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
Maddy's find = coolest thing i ever saw.

How effective would one of these be In copying an rfid credit card?

Also are there hacks for SQUARE for mobile to copy a card with a swipe?

Samy Kamkar

May 21, 2017, 2:33:40 PM5/21/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
The RFID scanner linked is for simple, 125kHz cards (eg ProxCards), not for EMV payment cards (13.56MHz).

For reading RFID credit cards, you'll need a reader like the OmniKey 5321. Copying the information from the card does NOT allow you to clone the card itself but rather perform a single transaction at the moment (assuming no pin). NFC/chip cards use public key crypto (eg DDA) to verify the card contains the correct key material authorizing it and the communication is different per transaction. It will provide you the card number and exp, however. I've modified RFIDiot to work on some US-based NFC cards and show credit card number, expiration, name, etc (though these seem to have gone out of favor in the US for chip, I have no idea why): https://samy.pl/chap.py

You just need a standard maghead to read magstripe data of a card (which *does* allow you to easily clone a mag credit card). Newer square readers use some sort of crypto to protect the card data that goes into audio jack (broken I think), but the older ones are unencrypted. Other ones are unencrypted like the ones for Coin, Looppay, and other generic ones. It's also easy to write these cards using something like MSR605 or using my tool MagSpoof for producing the magnetic field to simulate a card on standard magstripe readers: https://samy.pl/magspoof/

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/artsec.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/artsec/e6129fc6-d049-432d-9127-7d8241c28f4f%40googlegroups.com.

KATSU KATSU

May 22, 2017, 3:33:11 PM5/22/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
On a side note who wants to build an ML wavenet safe cracking brushless motor bot?

Fletcher Bach

May 22, 2017, 3:46:46 PM5/22/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
rad, but what to train it on?

Fletcher Bach
Brooklyn, NY
fletcherbach.com

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/artsec.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/artsec/e6129fc6-d049-432d-9127-7d8241c28f4f%40googlegroups.com.

KATSU KATSU

May 22, 2017, 7:53:33 PM5/22/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
Set the combo train it on sounds

Reset the combo train it on sounds

Click click thud click

Dan Moore

May 22, 2017, 8:55:36 PM5/22/17
to art...@googlegroups.com

Fletcher Bach

May 23, 2017, 9:51:57 AM5/23/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
of course, silly me! I was stuck thinking about the combination of numbers, and buidling a model that would teach that along with concepts of success and failure. Forgot that cracking locks+safes would (usually) just require listening to the sounds >_<

Fletcher Bach
Brooklyn, NY
fletcherbach.com

Hmmm sounds like fun
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to artsec+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/artsec.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/artsec/e6129fc6-d049-432d-9127-7d8241c28f4f%40googlegroups.com.

KATSU KATSU

May 23, 2017, 10:42:05 AM5/23/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
Wonder if a lock picking bot could be made in a similar way training it again on sound or friction....

Once you had a decent model you could run it off a small device with decent motors maybe connected to phone......

Hmmm sounds like fun