moderation

Noah Swartz

Jun 22, 2017, 12:02:42 PM6/22/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
can we solve this problem by just moderating subscriptions?

Kyle McDonald

Jun 22, 2017, 9:01:41 PM6/22/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
sorry. i should have fixed this a few months ago when we got the first few bits of spam, but i didn't. i sincerely apologize.

i think the best approach is to leave subscriptions open, but moderate the first post.

i just banned the most recent batch of spammers:

and i removed their emails from the group archive.

i also added three people who offered their help as owners of the group:

- ali sajjadi
- josh noble
- noah swartz

when a new user posts, these three people (and me) will get an email asking to moderate the post. hopefully with us watching, there won't be too long a delay for legitimate messages.

alternatively, if anyone has done this before and knows that moderating new users works better than moderating new posts, let me know and i can switch it. right now there are 1-2 new users per month.

thanks for your patience. and thanks ali, josh, and noah for your help!

kyle

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Noah Swartz <swar...@gmail.com> wrote:
can we solve this problem by just moderating subscriptions?

Tim Schwartz

Jun 22, 2017, 9:03:34 PM6/22/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
Wait I think we now need to find out who in the group was the one making the fake accounts and spamming everyone. Witchhunt!

Thx moderators for dealing with this.

-tim

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/artsec.

itstec...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2017, 2:05:48 PM6/24/17
to art...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the moderation and the note! It must be a bit time consuming to manage this. Thx!!!

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/artsec.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/artsec/CAM6r7g35iehRqD_jZA-USNAoAQu6UsgqGptWfpmsjoRvv%2Bb7PA%40mail.gmail.com.

Tom McDonald

Julian Oliver

Jul 31, 2017, 8:56:00 AM7/31/17
to art...@googlegroups.com

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2017/07/apple-removes-vpn-apps-chinese-app-store-government-orders/
https://twitter.com/joshuawongcf/status/891864772177784832

Disgraceful act of cowardice on part of Tim Cook. Encryption actually does save
lives in China. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Can only guess which country's next.

--
Julian Oliver
https://julianoliver.com

signature.asc

Noah Swartz

Aug 1, 2017, 1:16:44 PM8/1/17
to art...@googlegroups.com
EFF is going to write something about this I think
lmk if any of you have especially nuanced opinions that we should share

Kira Simon-Kennedy

Aug 1, 2017, 1:32:32 PM8/1/17
to artsec
the lawyers behind http://www.chinalawblog.com/ are great, might want to reach out to them on the nuances of the exact laws China is using to restrict VPNs (because it varies by city/region: Chongqing imposed fines in March, Beijing is saying the ban starts in February...)

other reads: