Copiers / Scanners Phoning Home for Copy Protection

Tim Schwartz

Mar 31, 2018, 7:30:44 PM3/31/18
to art...@googlegroups.com
Hola-

Has anyone seen reference to a copier or scanner phoning home when it scans in a particular symbol (i.e. a document that shouldn't be copied).

I was thinking like the EURion symbol on currency (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation), if the firmware detected a certain pattern in a file, it could possibly ping a host as encoded in the image. Something like using microdots as QR codes for copy protection or akin to a physical version of a PDF or Powerpoint secretly calling home when someone attempts to copy it.

I just imagine it exists by now inside some government agency, but i've never heard about it.

Thanks for lending me your brains.

Tim