Re: Policy Re Paying Teaching Artists for Cancelled Sessions

Kai Fierle-Hedrick

Sep 18, 2013, 1:31:06 PM9/18/13
to Arts Leadership Institute 2012
Hi ALI-ers -

I hope you're all well!

I'm working on updating Free Arts' policy re covering/not covering Teaching Artist pay for sessions that are cancelled (due to emergencies, weather, etc) and I'm wondering how other organizations approach this...

If you're willing to share, could folks please back-channel me at kai.fier...@gmail.com with info about how your organization - and/or other organizations you've worked/taught for - handle session cancellations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Kai Fierle-Hedrick

t: 716 913 1309 (cell)  /  212 974 9092 (office)
e:
x...@orium.org  /  k...@freeartsnyc.org
w: oriuminprocess.blogspot.com  /  www.freeartsnyc.org

Kemi Ilesanmi

Sep 18, 2013, 1:47:15 PM9/18/13
to kai.fier...@gmail.com, Arts Leadership Institute 2012
Great questions, Kai! We don't have the fully developed yet.

I would also be very interested in the responses, as appropriate.

Thank you,
Kemi

emily...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2013, 10:13:51 AM9/20/13
to arts-leadership...@googlegroups.com
Hi!  Here's how our contract reads for our independant contractor Teaching Artists:

·       The project fee will be paid over the course of the project period on a bi-weekly basis (or other schedule if agreed upon in writing).  The fee will be reduced by a pro-rated amount for activities that are missed or canceled.  WAI reserves the right to cancel activities with 24-hour notice for school vacations, half-days, afterschool events, and any other known school closing.  WAI reserves the right to cancel activities without notice due to Acts of God, Acts of Terrorism, school scheduling changes or any other act that is beyond the control of WAI.  Any canceled activity, with or without notice, will be pro-rated against the project fee.

Hope that's helpful to all interested!

Emily

Courtney Wendroff

Sep 20, 2013, 5:06:13 PM9/20/13
to Emily Gnagey, arts-leadership...@googlegroups.com

Hope this is helpfu, Courtney

CLASS CANCELLATION/TARDINESS

a.     BAC requires 24 hours advance notice for any necessary cancellation, whether by the teaching artist or the school/site.

b.     If a school/site cancels in less than this 24 hour period, the teaching artist will still be paid for the session. This session will be deducted from the total number of sessions specified in the original contract as if it had taken place.

c.      A session cancelled by the teaching artist will need to be rescheduled so that the original number of lessons is honored. You must inform BAC of the rescheduled date. Numerous occurrences may lead to elimination from our roster.

d.     In the case of a class cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances, ie: snow day, blackout, etc, every effort must be made by the BAC Teaching Artist to reschedule. You must inform BAC of the rescheduled date.

e.     TARDINESS: In general, don’t be late. If you are late, contact the school/site immediately and let them know your estimated time of arrival. After the session is over, inform BAC staff about the cause of lateness. Numerous occurrences may lead to elimination from our roster.

 Our full guidelines are also available here in case you’re curious: http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/files/downloads/0__BAC_TA_Procedures_Guidelines.pdf

Courtney Wendroff