point.line.surface: 5.1 audio visual suite

Cullen Miller

Jan 15, 2012, 4:54:03 PM1/15/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com
Art Hackerz!

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all. This project is for individuals interested in creating a networked installation or performance system that explores the possibilities of synchronous media, immersive audio, generative processes, and alternative interfaces.

This project is in need of:

+ sound designer(s)

+ visual designer(s)

+ software engineers

+ controller designer(s)

+ technical director/installer

***

*Let it be known that the list of 'requirements' are the ideal means to realize the project, but are subject to be scaled dependent upon what can be sourced and the size of the group. I have a bunch of the equipment in SF, but would rather not bring it unless it's necessary. If you're interested, let me know what you can provide and I'll try to bring the remaining items.

<3<3<3

--
Cullen Miller
Director of Public Programs | @cullenmiller

Kyle McDonald

Jan 15, 2012, 5:09:36 PM1/15/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com
hi cullen,

if you're not already familiar, you might appreciate the work of
ryoichi kurokawa http://www.ryoichikurokawa.com/ he does a lot of
these epic generative triptychs with surround sound.

also, i wanted to encourage you to be careful with hanging projectors
on their side. with most projectors, if you hang it on the wrong side
it will cause heating problems that will destroy the projector or
severely decrease the bulb life.

kyle

Cullen Miller

Jan 15, 2012, 9:32:21 PM1/15/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kyle,

I love Ryoichi's work. This specific set up is very similar to some of his recent plots. I've found that this specific array is a fairly reasonable install and yet still yields a massive impact.

To anyone interested, I can most likely source the majority of the audio equipment and control surfaces, but will need help finding matched projectors and network system.

See you next week!

Heather Contant

Jan 16, 2012, 3:42:35 AM1/16/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com
I'd do 5.1 sound

Sonia Yuditskaya

Jan 16, 2012, 1:53:14 PM1/16/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com
She does!
Rawk!

Cullen Miller

Jan 17, 2012, 8:45:53 PM1/17/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com
Heather,

That sounds good. I'm a sound person as well. So we'll most likely be working on the sound together. Do you have a sub that we can use for the LFE channel? I'm still trying to hunt down 5 matched monitors. I'm in SF so it'd be ideal if we could track them down in NYC. Let me know if you have any leads.

Aaron Meyers

Jan 19, 2012, 2:59:23 PM1/19/12
to Art Hack Day
Hi Cullen et al.

This looks cool. I'm just looking through the google group here for
the first time to get a feel for what people are thinking about.

I saw Ryochi's rheo installation a few years ago at Ars Electronica,
so I think I have a sense of what you are looking for.

Do you have any visual references/sketches for what you imagine the
projected material to be like?

-Aaron

On Jan 17, 8:45 pm, Cullen Miller <cul...@gaffta.org> wrote:
> Heather,
>
> That sounds good. I'm a sound person as well. So we'll most likely be
> working on the sound together. Do you have a sub that we can use for the
> LFE channel? I'm still trying to hunt down 5 matched monitors. I'm in SF so
> it'd be ideal if we could track them down in NYC. Let me know if you have
> any leads.
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Sonia Yuditskaya <s...@319scholes.org>wrote:
>

> > She does!
> > Rawk!
>
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Heather Contant <conth...@newschool.edu>wrote:
>
> >> I'd do 5.1 sound

> --
> Cullen Miller
> Director of Public Programs | @cullenmiller<http://twitter.com/cullenmiller>
> Gray Area Foundation for the Arts | +1 248 909 1168
>
> http://GAFFTA.org
> @GAFFTA <http://twitter.com/gaffta>

Cullen Miller

Jan 19, 2012, 10:27:37 PM1/19/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com
Hey Heather & Aaron,

Heather:

I'm assuming the Onkyo speakers are for home stereo and have polarized copper speaker wire I/O from a receiver? If the receiver has XLR or 1/4" TRS input that would work wonderfully, otherwise we'll need to figure out a way to convert the audio from 1/4" TRS to speaker wire.

If that isn't feasible the KRK Rokit5's are most likely our best bet. I can most likely find a pair of Rokit5's if I ping some of my friends. And concerning the LFE, I messaged Igal to see if he can help track one down. I'll keep my ears to the ground as well.

Aaron:

I've been playing with some generative OpenGL stuff and applying various expressions to create some cold, Raster-Noton-y sort of stuff. I now have this system that has become a one trick pony and want to scrap it and begin anew. I'm not particularly a very visual person, but would love to create some protocol for deep communication between a+v via OSC. I'd personally love to establish a system where our data is generating both a+v, but I realize that could be a messy project for a weekend hack. Sorry that dodged your question about aesthetics. Let me try again.

I think it'd be cool to explore the various types of (image & acoustic) noise and form, in particular how particles and grains create shapes. I think that we would have plenty of analogies that would allow us to communicate between a+v. That being said, I'm very open to whatever the process has to offer but these are just a few ideas of mine. I'd love to hear your ideas too. It could be fun to tailor the sound to the optical component, as well.

Sorry for the treatise!

<3

danomatika

Jan 23, 2012, 2:03:39 PM1/23/12
to Art Hack Day
Howdy all,

I'm planning on making a music/performance piece during the art hack.
I'm currently working to update/revamp my wearable a/v performance
project, robotcowboy http://robotcowboy.com/, which uses a custom
Linux setup running Pure Data, a custom Visual engine, and a device
daemon all talking through OSC.

My new visual engine is being built in OpenFrameworks and runs Lua
scripts with OSC communication in mind, so it's far from a "one off".
Naturally, the audio engine can be anything that sends/receive sOSC,
Max for instance. I'd be interested in helping as long as I can rock
on it later on ...

Also, I'd suggest using TouchOSC on an iPad for the multitouch
controller in your proposal to save time.

On Jan 19, 10:27 pm, Cullen Miller <cul...@gaffta.org> wrote:
> Aaron:
>
> I've been playing with some generative OpenGL stuff and applying various
> expressions to create some cold, Raster-Noton-y sort of stuff. I now have
> this system that has become a one trick pony and want to scrap it and begin
> anew. I'm not particularly a very visual person, but would love to create
> some protocol for deep communication between a+v via OSC. I'd personally
> love to establish a system where our data is generating both a+v, but I
> realize that could be a messy project for a weekend hack. Sorry that dodged
> your question about aesthetics. Let me try again.
>
> I think it'd be cool to explore the various types of (image & acoustic)
> noise and form, in particular how particles and grains create shapes. I
> think that we would have plenty of analogies that would allow us to
> communicate between a+v. That being said, I'm very open to whatever the
> process has to offer but these are just a few ideas of mine. I'd love to
> hear your ideas too. It could be fun to tailor the sound to the optical
> component, as well.
>
> Sorry for the treatise!
>
> <3

danomatika

Jan 23, 2012, 3:31:26 PM1/23/12
to Art Hack Day
Also, here is an example of what the lua scripting language looks
like: https://github.com/danomatika/ofxLua/blob/master/example/bin/data/scripts/graphicsExample.lua

On Jan 23, 2:03 pm, danomatika <danomat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I'm planning on making a music/performance piece during the art hack.
> I'm currently working to update/revamp my wearable a/v performance
> project, robotcowboyhttp://robotcowboy.com/, which uses a custom

danomatika

Jan 25, 2012, 1:50:59 PM1/25/12
to Art Hack Day
I've been working on getting ready for this weekend, but I don't think
my tools are probably suited for your installation yet. I think using
Processing + the Most Pixels Ever library (http://www.shiffman.net/
2007/03/02/most-pixels-ever/) is a good way to go. I can help you
write a scene player that others can use to write their own scenes.
This way, it's easy to add content without having to deal with the
whole system.

On Jan 23, 3:31 pm, danomatika <danomat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, here is an example of what the lua scripting language looks
> like:https://github.com/danomatika/ofxLua/blob/master/example/bin/data/scr...

Cullen Miller

Jan 25, 2012, 6:53:24 PM1/25/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I've been preparing a bit for this weekend as well and now have an idea for how the idea can survive after the hack. I've been working with Naut Humon (Recombinant Media Labs) this past week and have been developing a visual template for 'remote residencies' for the CineChamber. It might be interesting to explore the possibilities of scaling this project to something more immersive. This might be extending the project outside of the the allotted time constraints, but it could be useful to start thinking on a larger scale before we begin.

I'll bring some of the templates we've been developing to see what we can churn out. We can hook it up any visual software to it to visualize it in a 2:3:1 (x:y:z) space. I've also modded/developed a few custom plug-ins for the 5.1 system that are very easily adaptable for larger speaker arrays, different speaker configurations, and ambisonics playback.

Are there any leads on speakers/projectors? Do I need to bring some? Let me know ASAP if I should plan on packing heavy. I'm flying into NYC tomorrow evening, but won't be there until about 10:00pm EST.

See you tomorrow,
Cullen

“Tamar Ziv”

Jan 26, 2012, 6:19:20 PM1/26/12
to Art Hack Day
I'd love to help out in all of the above!

On Jan 25, 6:53 pm, Cullen Miller <cul...@gaffta.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've been preparing a bit for this weekend as well and now have an idea for
> how the idea can survive after the hack. I've been working with Naut
> Humon (Recombinant
> Media Labs <http://rml-cinechamber.org>) this past week and have been
> developing a visual template for 'remote residencies' for the
> CineChamber<http://rml-cinechamber.org>.

Cullen Miller

Jan 26, 2012, 6:24:59 PM1/26/12
to artha...@googlegroups.com

We'd love to have your help! I'm in transit right now from SF but should arrive at 319 around 10:30pm EST. Looking forward to meeting everyone.