Listing size limitations ?

Bear

Apr 10, 2012, 1:52:13 PM4/10/12
to Art Directory Print
'I have owned Art Directory Print for many years, but not been able to
use it. I need to list large file trees, or even complete partitions,
but it always aborted (at about 10000 files ??). Now I have a disk
crash and need a working list for Win7, and with more columns that DIR
produces in XP. Is that limitation eliminated in ADP or AHL3, or is it
possible to run large directories in parts (or without sort) to
circumvent the problem ?

ZZEE Groups

Apr 11, 2012, 7:39:37 AM4/11/12
to art-direc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First of all the program may terminate if it encounters a directory
where it has no rights to view/list, etc. Also in order to sort things
or create a tree - a big in memory structure is needed and if you have
many files, then perhaps it may encounter a problem with mem
allocation.

Do you use any columns besides very basics of name, type, date, size?

Paul.

Bear

Apr 12, 2012, 11:49:50 AM4/12/12
to Art Directory Print
Hi,

Yes, I added many potentially interesting columns, but I really need
image dimensions, photo date, and preferably name and full path as
separate entities.
As I think I mentioned, I would be happy to have an option 'No sort',
if that circumvents the most common problem.

And I would dare to suggest that the programs should be able to
recover from 'no rights' - just write a message in the file that the
directory/file is unreachable !

Kindly,
Björn

ZZEE Groups

Apr 13, 2012, 5:05:41 PM4/13/12
to art-direc...@googlegroups.com
Bjorn,

Can you first run it with maybe just one column - name and thus you
can understand whether a single column makes it crash. Then please a
column by column.

As far as I remember Art Directory Print doesn't terminate if it
encounters an error, but writes into a listing about it. It is Art
HTML Listing that terminates in that case (these 2 programs share the
same core).

--
Regards,
Paul.

Follow ZZEE on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/zzee.software

Feel free to become friends with Paul Slavic:
http://facebook.com/Paul.Slavic

bjorn...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2012, 9:34:15 AM4/17/12
to art-direc...@googlegroups.com

Paul,

as I mentioned I had a disk crash, and I haven't found any saved note about my registration.
Thus, I can't make any test to reproduce the error now.
Can you give me a new/my old registration number, or a time limited full trial ??
If my registration was saved on my mail address, it would be bg_26934@... (still possible to read, but not being used for send)

Regards,
Björn

ZZEE Groups

Apr 17, 2012, 11:23:52 AM4/17/12
to art-direc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bjorn,

I will send you another message to your address, because the forum is
not supposed for private information like keys.

Björn Gimle

Apr 23, 2012, 2:06:21 PM4/23/12
to Art Directory Print
I have to agree with Paul's suggestion that the error on my old system was caused by one column (or one item only?) - I can't duplicate it on my new system.
Both program version and file size is identical to the one I used before.
But now I managed to create 97MB .html, 50MB .xml and 37MB .csv file with three columns related to file names, of a tree containing 315000 files in 32000 folders. Also a listing of all .jpg files (+directories with none) with twelve fields as above and remaining fields related to image data, resulting in 43, 28 and 16 MB data on 55000 .jpgs in 88000 lines.

They took hours though - if that is mainly due to sorting it might be useful to have a no-sort option for .csv files, since qsort and qsort410 can sort large files with field delimiters very efficiently.

2012/4/10 Bear <bjorn...@gmail.com>
'I have owned Art Directory Print for many years, but not been able to
use it. I need to list large file trees, or even complete partitions,
but it always aborted (at about 10000 files ??). Now I have a disk
crash and need a working list for Win7, and with more columns than DIR
produces in XP. ...