Update on Armstrong Donations

Travis Swicegood

Feb 27, 2012, 6:34:50 PM2/27/12
to armstr...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all;

This past week was a light one for me with NICAR12 happening.  Got to meet a lot of people who are excited about the project and a lot of people who had never heard of it and a lot of people who had heard of the project, but only through press releases and didn't know we had already had three major releases and hundreds of smaller component releases.

To help keep everyone in the loop, we're going to start trying to send out emails on a hopefully-regular basis giving a glimpse into what's happening on the project.  There's tons of activities, but parsing thru all of the noise on GitHub and PyPI can be challenging.  Hopefully these emails will help make it more apparent what we're focusing on.

I've spent the last few weeks working on our new armstrong.apps.donations component[1].  It's designed to give people a way to accept donations with only some minor configuration.  It's currently available and at v0.7.  Once we're using it at the Texas Tribune and I've written some documentation for it, we'll bump the version to 1.0.0 and make sure it's included in the main `armstrong` package as well.  We have a release scheduled for the end of March, so the plan is to get it in ready for 1.0 by then.

The Armstrong side of the code is finished and I'm currently wrapping up integration with armstrong.apps.donations at the Texas Tribune.  There are a few edge cases to still implement, but the core that's in Armstrong is to a point I feel pretty good about it.  We have some unique cases around co-members and such that rely on integration with our CRM.  Since those changes are pretty specific, my plan is to release that as an example of how to add custom functionality to donations.  If we get a lot of people using those customizations, we'll add it to armstrong.apps.donations–always easier to add than remove.

Till next time,

-T

---
Travis Swicegood | @tswicegood (most everywhere) | Senior Open Source Engineer @ Texas Tribune / Armstrong | 512.693.7051