Armstrong v13.06 release

Travis Swicegood

Jun 3, 2013, 11:02:47 PM6/3/13
to armstr...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all,

I just posted up some thoughts I've been collecting over the last week or so on Armstrong's past, present, and future and posted them to my blog here:

One thing I want to call out -- I'm planning on doing a new armstrong package release for version 13.06.  I want to keep this to two things:

* Updating all component versions to their latest stable versions -- I know a few things have been released since the v12.03.
* Make sure all components work on Django 1.5 -- I know the guys over at BC/CIR have done some work toward this with Hatband for sure.

Other than that, I don't want to add any new features to the core package.  We can release those in July and get a head start on v13.09 that'll land the end of September.

I hope to have a beta version of v13.06 out next week.  I'll keep the list posted once it's available.

-T

Travis Swicegood
Director of Technology @TexasTribune
512-693-7051 | @tswicegood (most everywhere)

Joshua Bonnett

Jun 3, 2013, 11:58:16 PM6/3/13
to armstr...@googlegroups.com
Going to take this in sections:

Content Streams:
As long as this registration style framework doesn't send us down the path of back end navel gazing for a year then I am ok with adding it to what we have now. If you're proposing tossing what we have now, well then I would have to disagree on several fronts.

django admin:
I really like the idea of this. This is all about making complex admins easier to use from my perspective. We should gather a few ideas of things we could consider v1. Perhaps some sort of wizard plugin? Something that works sorta like formset from the developers perspective but for multistep admin pages?

Separating editing and publishing:
The publishing system sounds a LOT like our layout system. Right now it desperately needs a gui overhaul, but the fundamentals are there.

As to the editor, we have been looking at integrating etherpad-lite (which is apache licensed).  I assumed that using that as the editor for armstrong would be a non starter as it requires running a node server.

Up coming:
We should really bump the visual search version in hatbadn. I will see if i can push out a pr for that in the next week or two.
We need to talk about where we want which parts of the image stuff to live.

Joshua Bonnett

Jun 4, 2013, 1:03:21 PM6/4/13
to armstr...@googlegroups.com
And when I said "our layout system" I meant tbc's page layout system, not vanilla arm_layouts. We are still in the process of cleaning that up and getting it ready for release. Perhaps it will end up being apps.page_layouts or something like that.