Peregrine Falcon at Weston St Pond

Cliff Cook

Jun 15, 2024, 6:40:01 AMJun 15
to Arlingt...@googlegroups.com, Massbird
I was at Weston Station Pond yesterday and found a Peregrine roosting on the cliff side of the first pond as you drive in to the area off Rt 20. See notes below. Could there be a nest there?

Weston Station Pond is located off Rt 20 just west of 128. Enter at the first traffic light west of 128. If you want walk the trails drive to the back parking lot and go all the way to the left. You can park there and you will see the trailhead by a mowed area.

Cliff Cook
Watertown

Weston Station Pond
Jun 14, 2024
7:52 AM
Traveling
3.93 miles
148 Minutes

2 Canada Goose
1 Wood Duck
3 Mallard
3 Mourning Dove
1 Chimney Swift
4 Killdeer
1 Double-crested Cormorant
24 Great Blue Heron -- 13 nests
2 Red-tailed Hawk
6 Downy Woodpecker
2 Hairy Woodpecker
1 Pileated Woodpecker
2 Northern Flicker
1 Peregrine Falcon -- This was an interesting observation. I came across the bird when I stopped to look around the first pond by the entrance road. I heard what I thought was a raptor calling. After looking around I saw a large splash of whitewash on the side of the rock wall on the opposite side of the pond. There was a large fairly darkly patterned Peregrine sitting right above a small ledge. Judging from the amount of whitewash this is a regular roost spot. Given the calling could there be a nest here?
1 Eastern Wood-Pewee
3 Eastern Phoebe
1 Great Crested Flycatcher
5 Eastern Kingbird