Two Important addenda to Post on Encores

PAUL ROBERTS

Jun 14, 2024, 9:37:38 AMJun 14
to ArlingtonBirds
Hi,
Two important addenda to my post on encores at the Mystic Lakes.
    This morning I found a lone car key (black top) on a small chain with a classic miniature antique (Roman?) axe (or something like one) on the other end of the short chain, the fob. The key was found in the main parking lot this morning near where you begin to see the watershed map on the asphalt. I placed the key on the large  wooden message board to the right of the boat "trail" down to the lower lake, under some tape that is holding it up. It probably doesn't belong to a birder, but just in case.
     Second, the eagle nest mentioned in my post is on private property, which should be respected. There are not good views of the nest from that or neighboring property or the road. A landowner got her first and best views of the kids from the dam. I would remind photographers and others that FAE is NOT MK, who was inured to human presence. FAE does not like being near humans or closely observed. Sentiments that I expect are even more powerful as she feeds and protects her three eaglets. From everything I've seen from a distance, she is a very good parent. Please respect her and the landowners. Thank you.

Best,
Paul

Paul M. Roberts
Medford, MA
phaw...@comcast.net

Andrew Whitacre

Jun 14, 2024, 10:30:01 AMJun 14
to phaw...@comcast.net, ArlingtonBirds
Thanks as always for the updates, Paul!

For anyone like me who enjoys the eBird/Cornell enterprise of documenting populations but doesn't want to draw attention to private property even when you've screamed "Private property" in your eBird comments, one practice is to delay making your list public.

You do that under Checklist tools and by selecting "Hide from eBird output", shown in the screenshot below, and then changing it back sometime in the future. There are some caveats I can mention if you want to reach out to me directly, but those are the basics.

Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 9.56.00 AM.png

--
Group home page:
https://mrines.com/Birds/Arlington/