BAC budget priorities

Cynthia Palmer

Jan 12, 2023, 1:32:41 PM1/12/23
to Arlington BAC
Thanks to all who attended last night’s BAC-PAC meeting!
At the very end (after the official 9 pm ending time) some of us stayed to talk about the budget. I’ve been invited to a budget discussion this coming Tuesday evening with County Manager Schwartz, and I’d like to present our top BAC priorities at that meeting.

What are your mobility-related priorities for the county budget?
Please feel free to weigh in.

Some of the topics that came up last night in our BAC-PAC budget discussion included the following:

--Vision Zero funding

--MOT (maintenance of traffic) permitting and inspection – the County is very short on inspectors who can ensure safe passage around construction sites, maintenance work, and other road hazards.

--Signage for the trail system so new riders know which way to go. Our streets have signs (well, most of them!) but on the trails we are “on our own.” This is low hanging fruit and -- in addition to directional signs -- it could even involve some fun "trail naming" activities for the County.

--Safety improvements for the road crossings on 4 Mile Run Drive, and particularly for the dangerous intersections surrounding the magnificent new playground, Jennie Dean Park (which is sandwiched between Shirlington Road and Walter Reed Drive).

--Funds for sturdy protective barriers so that "protected bike lanes" are actually protected.

--Improvements to traffic signaling, which could use more resources as there is so much to fix.

--Automatic enforcement

--Sidewalk repairs

Feel free to weigh in before Tuesday. Thanks.
Cynthia

Chris Slatt

Jan 12, 2023, 3:25:53 PM1/12/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
I strongly recommend emphasizing maintenance funding.  WIth our growing network of protected bike lanes, we need to make sure that there is operating money to clear them of leaves, gravel, & snow, replace protective elements, etc.  This is funding that necessarily needs to scale up as the network expands.

Chris

--
~
Please make sure you intend to send your message to the WHOLE list before you simply hit reply & send. Thanks!

Ride safe, have fun. You are loved.

- For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/arlington-bac?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Arlington BAC" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arlington-bac/1708500083.327086.1673548359017%40mail.yahoo.com.

Gillian Burgess

Jan 12, 2023, 3:36:43 PM1/12/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Cynthia,

I think there are some areas we can propose savings or revenue neutral investments:

- including ebikes in Arlington's vehicle fleet (for staff to take to meetings, etc, instead of cars)

- including e cargo bikes & other light duty vehicles (e.g. Gators) in the maintenance vehicle fleet - for servicing bike lanes and trails

- developing a program for sidewalk repair in commercial areas that bills property owners (where it's their responsibility) for any work done - including the admin cost of the program

- developing a similar program for MOT enforcement that collects penalties for violations that fund the program -- will likely need a change in law at least in Arlington & possibly in Richmond

Mark S loves savings and efficiency. Ebikes are the most efficient transportation out there.

Thanks
Gillian

Cynthia Palmer

Jan 12, 2023, 6:56:57 PM1/12/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com, Leah Gerber, Pamela Van Hine
Fabulous suggestions. Thank you, Chris, Gillian, and Randy.

If Arlington were to include e-bikes in its fleet, I would hope it would include pedal-powered bikes as well.

Four more days to weigh in if anyone else wants to suggest budget priorities.

Thanks!
c.

Gillian Burgess

Jan 12, 2023, 11:47:30 PM1/12/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com, Leah Gerber, Pamela Van Hine
Also, we should absolutely be pushing an ebike subsidy of some sort. E-bikes make biking for transportation accessible for many who couldn't bike without the assist. Ebikes subsidies help make sure income and wealth are not barriers to the benefits of biking for transportation.

It would be better at the state level, but Arlington should explore options to do this locally.

Randy Swart

Jan 13, 2023, 8:36:54 AM1/13/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
We would need a max income cutoff. No need to
subsidize for those who can easily afford an ebike.

At 1/12/2023, Gillian Burgess wrote:
> [...]

>to the WHOLE list before you simply hit reply & send. Thanks!
>
>Ride safe, have fun. You are loved.

>subscribed to the Google Groups "Arlington BAC" group.
>
>- For more options, visit this group at
><http://groups.google.com/group/arlington-bac?hl=en>http://groups.google.com/group/arlington-bac?hl=en
>---
>You received this message because you are
>subscribed to the Google Groups "Arlington BAC" group.
>To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>receiving emails from it, send an email to
><mailto:arlington-ba...@googlegroups.com>arlington-ba...@googlegroups.com.
><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arlington-bac/CABAyLJ-K8vAK8%3DV5%2B17Fty6R%2BSYxJhiGvxcRAhYAbcqPZwZ-BA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arlington-bac/CABAyLJ-K8vAK8%3DV5%2B17Fty6R%2BSYxJhiGvxcRAhYAbcqPZwZ-BA%40mail.gmail.com.

_____________________________

Randy Swart
ra...@helmets.org
Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
Arlington, VA USA
703-486-0100
www.helmets.org

David Cranor

Jan 13, 2023, 12:16:31 PM1/13/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
That all depends. A subsidy for all would certainly do more to increase the uptake of e-bikes. There are places to seek equity, but maybe e-bikes isn’t it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arlington-bac/20230113133652.540D01B066F%40mail2.g23.pair.com.

Gillian Burgess

Jan 13, 2023, 12:32:53 PM1/13/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
There are many different ways to structure it.* At this point, I would advocate for starting the conversation to bring awareness to the need. I don't know if we can get something in this budget, but starting the conversation will get it in some future budget.

*It's also possible that we could get grant money that can be used for the subsidies, but we need Arlington county staff to apply for the grant, administer the program, etc.  So maybe the ask right now is a modest amount to start designing a system.

 We could do a lottery system and  have a priority lottery that's means tested. (Here are examples of lottery programs: https://www.massbike.org/ebikeworcester https://www.peninsulacleanenergy.com/ebikes/)

Thanks
Gillian

Formerly of The Daves

Jan 13, 2023, 3:32:14 PM1/13/23
to Arlington BAC
I wholeheartedly second Chris' maintenance suggestion. I was just thinking about this the other day as I bumped my way across what felt like Every. Single. Root. Heave. along the Custis Trail on my way to work.
BTW, I picked up this sticker at Transportation Camp last weekend!
Maintenance is Sexy.jpg

Dana Bres

Peter Stokely

Jan 14, 2023, 8:07:46 AM1/14/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Hello: on the topic of maintenance, I would like to see the existing faded bike lane and road crossings markings be repainted nicely and brightly.  I think new cyclists would find that inviting.  That needs to be a yearly budget item.  Repaving, or at least removing tree root bumps on the existing trials would also send a strong signal to new cyclists that cycling is a priority.

“Bikes add to a love of place. They enhance your capacity to love where you are.”

John Hickenlooper Former Governor of Colorado

Gillian Burgess

Jan 14, 2023, 10:06:49 AM1/14/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Trail maintenance has been a problem for decades. It takes Parks months to fill simple potholes on the trails. We should bring it up in the context of the budget, but the real issue is Parks does not manage the trail system as a transportation network that needs to be reliable.

Years ago, Arlington started a program in the CIP, which allocated $500,000/year (I believe it's now $1m) to Parks to fix the trails. They said when adopted that they would develop trail build standards and a systematic way to build and maintain the trails.

They haven't done that. Most years, they've lumped the trail modernization funding into other projects that happened to include some trail (like Benjamin Banneker Park).  The most recent use was the Bluemont, but they just repaved what was there - they didn't address any of the fundamental issues. They didn't even repair all of the ramps to and from the trail (it's still a mess to get to Arlington Forest ).

Dana Bres

Jan 14, 2023, 10:58:44 AM1/14/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
To Gillian's point.  Maybe the future of trails is too important to be left to the professionals.  The NPS open ended "what should the MVT be" process might be applied our trails.  The challenge is getting more than the advocates engaged.  A few years ago, the study on fields and courts revealed we needed more fields and courts, likely the result of the engagement of the field and court users.  Advocacy for a real master plan for the trails might best be applied to the Board, but then we would face the ongoing issue of picking what we want to do out of the plan and ignoring the other stuff.

Lee and Kevin O'Keefe-Walzer

Jan 15, 2023, 10:16:51 AM1/15/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com, Leah Gerber, Pamela Van Hine
Re e-bikes, NPR had this great feature yesterday.  The e-bike subsidy should be a natural for a county like Arlington, in terms of its professed goals and values.  I use my e-bike for commuting and errands (biked to the dry cleaner yesterday).  Getting them into a wider percentage of the population really makes sense.

I don't know whether the County has considered urging Amazon to embrace e-bike delivery vehicles.  I've seen those in NYC; we were just in Spain and there, they are widely used.  That would do a lot for reducing congestion and they are a natural for a densely populated and small geographic area like Arlington.

Re other excellent suggestions here, yes, maintenance is a huge need.  I, too, would love to bike on a trail without all the bumps from tree roots.  On the Custis Trail, in a few places there is indeed signage pointing the way to various neighborhoods (Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse) along the way.  One thing I'm surprised that no one has mentioned is lighting.  On the Custis Trail, it's awful.  I don't generally bike when it's dark but at this time of year, it's unavoidable.  The lighting maintenance is poor and, even when the lights are working, the lights just are not that bright.

Lee

Lee Walzer

Jan 15, 2023, 10:30:14 AM1/15/23
to Arlington BAC
Also, has the group considered better parking facilities for bikes?  One thing that struck me during our trip to Spain was how integrated bike parking was with train and metro stations.  I live near the East Falls Church Metro and that station has great bike parking.  Other metro stations -- not so much.  While neighborhoods like Clarendon do have some bike racks if you're biking to do an errand, it would be great for the County to facilitate "bike garages" in commercial areas.

Lee

Heidi Fritschel

Jan 15, 2023, 6:13:47 PM1/15/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Just another plug for improved signage and way finding in the budget. I think it would be useful to have signage that acts as if people are using their bikes to go all kinds of places for errands, commuting, recreation, visiting friends, etc. Right now, in my opinion, signage is at a bare minimum. Especially with regard to trails, I know my usual routes very well, but anytime I want to go someplace new, trail signage is just not very adequate. Some side trails off of the main trails are completely unmarked. I’ve found myself using the audio feature on google maps and still not being sure I was going the right way. Stop, look at the map . . . where is my dot? Stop again . . . now where is my dot? In addition, trails may be labeled, but there is little information about what you will find along the way, how far intersections with different roads and trails are, where one might find bike shops or refreshments, etc. Everyone needs to be their own expert and find their own way, constantly checking their own maps. Also, it would be helpful for roads near trails to have signs directing riders/walkers to the trails by name. If you think about it in comparison with the way finding that is available to car drivers on roads and highways, it’s kind of pathetic.

Finally, besides helping new riders, riders trying out new routes, young riders, and others get around more easily, improved signage would also serve a marketing function by making the ease and attractiveness of bicycle use more evident to people, especially if it had a consistent and appealing graphic identity.

Heidi

Cynthia Palmer

Jan 15, 2023, 7:03:23 PM1/15/23
to Arlington BAC, Elizabeth Gallagher, Pamela Van Hine, Leah Gerber
Thanks Heidi, Lee, Dana, Gillian, Peter, Chris, Dave, David, and Randy,

These are fabulous suggestions. I've been putting them in a master document and will endeavor to pull out some key "asks" for Tuesday's meeting with Mark Schwartz.

But clearly many of the ideas deserve more than a brief mention at a public meeting, so let's see how we can advance them in the coming days and months.

To Heidi's points on signage, below, I am in full agreement ... signage would be valuable also in the event we need emergency services. It's hard to describe a nameless location.

Here's my story on way-finding (press delete if you've heard me tell it before!): Fifteen years ago, Arlington's (paper) bike map used to include only the county itself, not the areas beyond our borders, so I assumed that the trails and on-road bike lanes stopped at the jurisdictional boundaries. For years I'd ride my young children to the county line where I'd lock up the bike and the double Burley trailer. From there, we'd wait for public buses to take us the rest of the way to our destinations. There were no trail signs telling us the amazing places we could travel *by bike.* As a sandwich-generation single mom, my life was too chaotic to go and explore, and I didn't want to put the kids at risk.
At least now we have better maps (and phones!) but there's still a long way to go on the signage front. This would not be so hard to remedy.

Thanks, all.
Cynthia

Heidi Fritschel

Jan 15, 2023, 10:19:52 PM1/15/23
to arling...@googlegroups.com, Elizabeth Gallagher, Pamela Van Hine, Leah Gerber
Cynthia,

A very telling story! Jurisdictional issues may complicate signage improvements in a few ways. I just wanted to mention that if there are ways I can support the effort directly—research, advocacy, or other—I’d be happy to do so. I have a standing commitment on Monday evenings, so I’m not able to attend most BAC meetings.

Best,
Heidi