Monday, October 3, 7:00 - 9:00 PM, TEAMS platform
7:00 – 7:15: Welcome from the Chair and Introductions
Introductory Question: Which is your favorite trail in Arlington?
7:15 – 8:15pm: Capital Trails Coalition Arlington County Trails Check-In
Kevin O’Brien, Trails Coalition Coordinator – WABA
The Capital Trails Coalition (CTC) has been hosting jurisdiction-focused trail check-ins to hear from trail builders and allies in each County/city and to brainstorm together. Kevin will be attending to represent CTC to chat about trails and trail projects within Arlington County.
8:15 – 8:30: BAC/PAC/TAC Charter Updates
Valerie Mosley, TPCPM Bureau Chief – DES
The charter for the Transit Advisory Committee (TAC) was recently updated and TAC members are in the process of voting on charter updates. To keep the TAC, BAC, and PAC charters aligned there have been some updates to the BAC and PAC charters as well. Valerie will introduce the proposed charter updates and will kick off a 30-day comment for BAC members to provide feedback.
8:30 – 8:50 Big fixes, systemic changes, flipping the defaults
All around the world, other jurisdictions have found ways to make the streets safer.
· The Bicycling Safety Ordinance in Cambridge Mass requires the city to provide protected bike infrastructure for streets that are included in its bike master plan except in “rare” circumstances, which city officials will be required to justify.
· From mini cars to mass transit to the removal of on-street parking, Japan has become a leader in road safety. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-06/what-drove-japan-s-remarkable-traffic-safety-turnaround
· The Netherlands transitioned from a dangerous car-centric country to a model for the best walking and biking AND the happiest drivers in the world.
Arlington is not The
Netherlands, but maybe there is something we can do differently?
Please watch the linked video from Not Just Bikes before our meeting on Monday, and we will talk about everything from smart traffic lights to signals on the near side of the intersection to continuous sidewalks.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ByEBjf9ktY
8:50 – 9:00: General Updates
· Bike ride for County Board and County Manager?
· Legislative priorities letter
· BAC representative to Plan Langston Blvd Committee
· Topics for future meetings (Shirlington Road and 4MR Drive, League of American Bicyclists, etc.)
All are welcome to join the October BAC meeting on on the Arlington County TEAMS platform. Login will be available at 6:50pm for a 7 p.m. start. The meeting will be recorded, and the video posted to the Bicycle Advisory Committee web page.
The agenda is attached. Please note the 4th agenda item will involve discussion of the below video:
Please watch the linked video from Not Just Bikes before our meeting on Monday, and we will talk about everything from smart traffic lights to signals on the near side of the intersection to continuous sidewalks.
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer, mobile app or room device
Or call in (audio only)
+1 347-973-6905,,288067174# United States, New York City
Phone Conference ID: 288 067 174#