Fw: October BAC Meeting -- this Monday from 7 to 9 pm -- watch the Not Just Bikes video this weekend

Cynthia Palmer

Sep 30, 2022, 5:59:40 PM9/30/22
to Arlington BAC
Hi BAC friends - here is the agenda for our Monday evening meeting on Microsoft Teams.
Scroll to the bottom for the log-in.
(Apologies for cross-posting.)

Note the "Not Just Bikes" video link, below... please watch before the meeting if you have time...a good rainy day activity for this weekend! We will discuss it during the meeting.

Stay dry, be safe, have fun.
Cynthia

Arlington County Bicycle Advisory Committee – Virtual Meeting

Monday, October 3, 7:00 - 9:00 PM, TEAMS platform

7:00 – 7:15: Welcome from the Chair and Introductions

Introductory Question: Which is your favorite trail in Arlington?

7:15 – 8:15pm: Capital Trails Coalition Arlington County Trails Check-In

Kevin O’Brien, Trails Coalition Coordinator – WABA

The Capital Trails Coalition (CTC) has been hosting jurisdiction-focused trail check-ins to hear from trail builders and allies in each County/city and to brainstorm together. Kevin will be attending to represent CTC to chat about trails and trail projects within Arlington County.

8:15 – 8:30: BAC/PAC/TAC Charter Updates

Valerie Mosley, TPCPM Bureau Chief – DES

The charter for the Transit Advisory Committee (TAC) was recently updated and TAC members are in the process of voting on charter updates. To keep the TAC, BAC, and PAC charters aligned there have been some updates to the BAC and PAC charters as well. Valerie will introduce the proposed charter updates and will kick off a 30-day comment for BAC members to provide feedback.

8:30 – 8:50 Big fixes, systemic changes, flipping the defaults

BAC-led

All around the world, other jurisdictions have found ways to make the streets safer.

Examples:

·        The Bicycling Safety Ordinance in Cambridge Mass requires the city to provide protected bike infrastructure for streets that are included in its bike master plan except in “rare” circumstances, which city officials will be required to justify.

·        From mini cars to mass transit to the removal of on-street parking, Japan has become a leader in road safety. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-06/what-drove-japan-s-remarkable-traffic-safety-turnaround

·        The Netherlands transitioned from a dangerous car-centric country to a model for the best walking and biking AND the happiest drivers in the world.

Arlington is not The Netherlands, but maybe there is something we can do differently?

Please watch the linked video from Not Just Bikes before our meeting on Monday, and we will talk about everything from smart traffic lights to signals on the near side of the intersection to continuous sidewalks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ByEBjf9ktY

8:50 – 9:00: General Updates

·        Bike ride for County Board and County Manager?

·        Legislative priorities letter

·        BAC representative to Plan Langston Blvd Committee

·        Topics for future meetings (Shirlington Road and 4MR Drive, League of American Bicyclists, etc.)